We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

12 hour daytime stop in Nairobi - ideas on what to do?

Which Nairobi hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
London, United...
Level Contributor
15 posts
54 reviews
12 hour daytime stop in Nairobi - ideas on what to do?

I have a 12 hour (well 11 hours 45 minutes) daytime stop over in Nairobi, on my way back to the UK. I was wondering if anyone knew of anything good to do not overly far from the airport that could kill some time and is ok/safe for a woman travelling on her own? I have heard the Giraffe centre is fun and not that far.

Ideas welcome!!

Nairobi, Kenya
Level Contributor
43 posts
1 review
1. Re: 12 hour daytime stop in Nairobi - ideas on what to do?

Nairobi has quite alot to offer..you can choose between having game drives at the Nairobi National Park which sits only minutes away from the Airport or visit popular attractions like the Giraffe center, Elephant orphanage, Karen Blixen Museum. All the places are easily accessible and fun even while travelling alone.

Nairobi
11 posts
2. Re: 12 hour daytime stop in Nairobi - ideas on what to do?

You can visit the Nairobi National park, the bomas of Kenya, Kenya archives, Giraffe center, Karen blixen museum, etc which are within Nairobi city at least for better part of that time you mentioned.

Nairobi, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Nairobi, Kenya
Level Contributor
3,558 posts
26 reviews
3. Re: 12 hour daytime stop in Nairobi - ideas on what to do?

Don't venture too far from the airport considering heavy traffic on the roads.

Can i suggest hanging around the NBI NP ? There's the Safari Walk & Orphanage too. Carnivore is in the vicinity. I don't advise going to Karen.

Nairobi, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Kenya
Level Contributor
2,690 posts
177 reviews
4. Re: 12 hour daytime stop in Nairobi - ideas on what to do?

Where are you coming from? If you are connecting from one international flight to you London flight, then you luggage would be checked through, boarding passes issued, etc, so you don't need to be back at the airport till 10.30 pm.

Let us know where you are coming, from, so advising can be more accurate.

London, United...
Level Contributor
15 posts
54 reviews
5. Re: 12 hour daytime stop in Nairobi - ideas on what to do?

I am coming from Zanzibar, so yes coming off an international flight. In theory my bags should be checked through to London. My London leg doesnt take off til nearly midnight so wouldnt need to be back until quite late.

Thank you for all the info! Seems like the national park followed by dinner might be good option.

6. Re: 12 hour daytime stop in Nairobi - ideas on what to do?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines with regards to the participation of business representatives.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:35 am, November 04, 2013
Nairobi, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Kenya
Level Contributor
2,690 posts
177 reviews
7. Re: 12 hour daytime stop in Nairobi - ideas on what to do?

Jo, please note that Carnivore has not served game meat in years.

What time do you land from ZNZ and on what airline? Can then advise.

London, United...
Level Contributor
15 posts
54 reviews
8. Re: 12 hour daytime stop in Nairobi - ideas on what to do?

I land at about 11.30am with Precision air.

nyc
Level Contributor
14,274 posts
9. Re: 12 hour daytime stop in Nairobi - ideas on what to do?

If you arrive from ZNZ and didn't initially stop/stay in Kenya when arriving a few weeks earlier and obtained a Visa, that's the first thing you'll require to get out of the airport*. You can head to Immiggration for a Transit Visa USD$20. Then you'e free to enjoy the city.

*do make certaiin on departing ZNZ your bags are tagged thru via NBO to LHR, assume it's the 11:30pm British Air flight. If so, stop at Transit Desk to determine where this is stored so you can make sure it's on your BA flight. If not tagged, you'll have to find a place to store you bags, where I believe there is storage at the Domestic Terminal (please someoone who is familiar jump in here). Once this is taken care of, or you have to... strongly suggest you can pre-arrange with a taxi service (there are a few) who can hire for the day... keeping/securing your bag/s ... and go about sightseeing - with 11:30am arrival you'll miss the 11am showing at Sheldrick Ellees, but if you adopt a baby (USD$50/for the year... see the Sheldrick web site for details how, credit cards accepted) you can visit this chubby at 5pm which is private for foster parents... meeting the handlers and other chubbies... very interesting and lots of fun. .

Assume then out of the airport by 12:30pm, you can visit Karen Blixen, the National Park, Giraffe Center; if adopted a chubby, visit at 5pm, then head for dinner somewhere (lots of cuisine choices) and finally make your way to airpor for check in (of course collecting your luggage if stored somewhere or just recheck on arrival at JKIA).

You can contact JimCab who is reliable; maybe Kennedy from Waymark Safaris - am sure others who read this will have names who can assist and know you're not wasting time trying to get from place to place and if you have to take your luggage will be secured as you visit various areas.

And remember - traffic in NBO is horrific, so you might not be able to get to do everything you wish... but you won't miss out on most during this day.

Hope this helps.

Mtwapa, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Newcastle upon Tyne, Bamburi, Mtwapa
Level Contributor
14,725 posts
55 reviews
10. Re: 12 hour daytime stop in Nairobi - ideas on what to do?

"where I believe there is storage at the Domestic Terminal (please someoone who is familiar jump in here)."

Yes there is a left luggage office in the Domestic Terminal. On the extreme left after you go through the scanner to enter the building