We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How new should my dollar bills be ?

Which Nairobi hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Farmington Hills...
Level Contributor
155 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
How new should my dollar bills be ?

I have to carry $200 in visa fees plus I'm going to carry some for emergency purposes. I know Kenya only accepts new bills but how new do they need to be ? I checked the few bills that I had and they show the series from year 2004. Is that ok ?

nyc
Level Contributor
14,289 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: How new should my dollar bills be ?

Notes should be dated from 2006 forward.

They don't have to be freshly minted, but no folds, tears, ink writings, tape.

Except for the USD$1, the others should have the new larger faces.

Avoid USD$100 notes as in Kenya many feel these are counterfeit.

Work with $50s, 20s, 10s, 5s, 1s.

Ask your bank for those from '06 (there seem to be lots of '08s and '09s out there... give them a few days to gather these) and then go pick them up, be gracious and thank them... goes a long way in future relationship with your bank. Besides, this isn't an unusual request for many traveling overseas.

Farmington Hills...
Level Contributor
155 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How new should my dollar bills be ?

Thanks Sandi. We leave on Sunday so can't give my bank much time but I think they'll be able to find me 2006 bills. Thanks, you have been helpful both in this forum and the masai mara forum.

Global African
Level Contributor
37 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How new should my dollar bills be ?

we did not have problem with 2004 bills

Washington DC...
1 post
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How new should my dollar bills be ?

some places refused to accept 1996 notes!

5. Re: How new should my dollar bills be ?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, August 22, 2014