We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Nairobi for the day

Which Nairobi hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Vancouver
Level Contributor
215 posts
62 reviews
Save Topic
Nairobi for the day

We will be ending our 11 day safari and then have pretty much the whole day (flight from Maasai Mara has not been booked yet so unsure of time) in Nairobi before our flight that night at 11:30pm. Any suggestions on what we can do that day?

We are considering visiting Brown's Cheese as suggested on this forum but I still have to look into availability (we aren't going until January 2014 so shouldn't be a problem?) and also logistics on how to get there and if we can arrive in time depending on our flight back from safari.

We are also considering getting a day use room at a nice hotel with a pool. We are unsure if we will end our tour after touching back down in Nairobi or going our own way via taxi.

i guess there are lots of options to consider but if there is anything anyone recommends, we would appreciate it!

Note: We are spending 2 days prior to safari in Nairobi (although more like 1 day by the time we arrive late at night) and are visiting David Sheldrick Elephant Orphanage and Giraffe Centre.

Thank you!

nyc
Level Contributor
14,287 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Nairobi for the day

There are two flights from the Mara, the 11am and another 4pm, the latter many choose so they don't have to concern about a dayroom. Rather on arrival at Wilson about 5:15-5:30pm, arrange transfer for dinner somewhere and then to the airport.

Be aware though that since check-out is 10am from lodge/camps and though you can remain if vacating room/tent, some properties do assess a fee for 'late departure' + cost of lunch, but this is still less than a decent dayroom would cost.

You have time to plan, but something to consider.

Dearborn, Michigan
Level Contributor
1,300 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Nairobi for the day

Sandi, with a late departure from the camp, might one end up hot and sweaty for the flight home? It certainly would be easier, as opposed to a day room, but I'm just wondering how comfortable it would be considering the long flight home. Thanks

Nairobi, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Kenya
Level Contributor
2,730 posts
178 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Nairobi for the day

Brownes Cheese sounds great (www.brownscheese.com/?lunches-at-the-farm,22). It is around a 1.5 hour drive from Wilson, so if your flight gets in at 12.00 pm, you won't get there till after 1.30 pm. They suggest arrival at 12.00 pm for the tour, etc.

I would try and take the PM flight back from Mara, have dinner at Aero Club and then head to JKIA later.

RWA

nyc
Level Contributor
14,287 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Nairobi for the day

Bobbie - some people might, others not.

A simply wash down (have a wash cloth in your carryon) in the camps public loo, a spray of deodorant or powder and you should be good to go.

I've done both and if it was the late flight from Mara to JKIA, I didn't get any hint from person/s seated next to me they're prefer not. Didn't see any turned up noses or complaint to fight crew "please please change my seat as the smell is awful" :-)

While JKIA doesn't have showers and depending on long a layover between flights in Europe, most of the airports there, do have showers.

Again - choices.

Vancouver
Level Contributor
215 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Nairobi for the day

I like these options. I am waiting to hear back from our tour operator on having a later flight out of the mara and staying at the camp longer and paying any extra fees. They have not yet let me know of any of the flight times for each leg of our safari so I wasn't sure of the options. A 4pm flight to arrive back in Nairobi at 5:15-5:30 sounds ideal! We have a long layover in London and relatives there so if need be we could always shower and freshen up some more there.

6. Re: Nairobi for the day

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:19 am, July 14, 2014