We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Currency

Which Nairobi hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
45 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Currency

I'm bringing US dollars with me and have a few questions.

I've read on the forum that the bills need to be from the 2006 series or later. Is that still the case? And, are bills that have been folded in the middle really not accepted if they look "used"? Which denomination would you suggest I bring to exchange at a forex bureau to get a decent rate - $20, $50, $100?

Also, just in case I run out of US dollars, are Canadian dollars accepted at all at forex bureaus?

Thank you.

nyc
Level Contributor
14,289 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Currency

A fold per se won't matter, but if it looks as having been washed in your jeans... no, no.

Dates should be no older than 6/yrs, so from 2006 forward, and know there are lots of those dated 2008.

Avoid USD$100 notes as in Kenya many refuse these as being counterfeit. In fact this note is the most counterfeited worldwide, why the US is redesigning and new should be available in Aug '13 (don't hold me to that date). Other denominations are fine.

Can't advise about CA$, but a Forex should accept. But many threads here on the subject... do a search.

Better yet, have a combo of USD and local currency, so on landing go to an ATM and withdraw KSH for use when in NBO (definitely) though and for tips can be combo USD/KSH. Current exchange is about USD$1=85KSH.

Don't forget to advise your bank of where you'll be traveling and dates so any plastic doesn't have a 'hold' put on them and then out of luck!

Nairobi, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Kenya
Level Contributor
2,742 posts
178 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Currency

Canadian $ will be accepted at a forex bureau, but the exchange rate may not be great, as it is not a commonly traded cash currency in Kenya. As Sandi suggests, US$ cash and ATM would be the best way to go. Also use your credit card to pay for extras at hotels/lodges.

3. Re: Currency

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:17 am, July 03, 2014