We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Australian/UK dual national query

Which Nairobi hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Mombasa, Kenya
Level Contributor
50 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Australian/UK dual national query

Hi there

I am an Australian citizen and have always travelled to Kenya on my Aussie passport & obtained a visa on arrival. However, I have recently also been granted British citizenship so am now a dual national of the UK & Australia and hold 2 passports. I am about to travel to Kenya again from the UK and have been told by authorities here that I need to leave & re-enter the UK on my new British passport.

I'm just wondering therefore which passport I should now present to Immigration in Kenya. My biometric data (fingerprints etc) have been recorded in the past when entering Kenya on my Aussie passport so am wondering if it will cause confusion/concern if I now present a British passport on entry.

Any ideas/advice??

Thanks!

Jo

london
Destination Expert
for Zambia, Selous Game Reserve, Ruaha National Park
Level Contributor
4,007 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Australian/UK dual national query

The scanner that scans your fingerprints is, I'm pretty sure, just recording them. I doubt very much it's sophisticated enough to be matching them to a database.

Even if your data (more likely your name/DOB) is somehow matched, I don't see the problem- you have a perfectly valid reason to be using a different passport. People change names, nationality etc all the time.

Nairobi, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Kenya
Level Contributor
2,781 posts
189 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Australian/UK dual national query

Jo, it would be as easy to use your British or Australian passport. If exiting UK on British, then use that for entry/exit in Kenya.

Mombasa, Kenya
Level Contributor
50 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Australian/UK dual national query

Thanks for that advice.

I guess I'm just a bit concerned that my biometric data would have been entered along with my nationality so it might flag up if I produced another passport with another nationality that matches my fingerprints. I've thought about entering/exiting Kenya on my Aussie passport although not sure if the airline provides a passenger list to Kenyan immigration...

Nairobi, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Kenya
Level Contributor
2,781 posts
189 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Australian/UK dual national query

The biometric - I am not sure how long they are stored, and even if used. If they give you any hassles, just produce your Australian passport.

Mombasa, Kenya
Level Contributor
50 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Australian/UK dual national query

Thanks for all the advice/tips - much appreciated!

Cheers

Jo

6. Re: Australian/UK dual national query

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, May 23, 2014