We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Nairobi airport transfer to Mombasa flight

Which Nairobi hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Liberec, Czech...
3 posts
Save Topic
Nairobi airport transfer to Mombasa flight

I am flying from London to Nairobi. I must get VISA on arrival and have only 2 hours to catch flight from Nairobi to Mombasa. Will I make it? How long is the walk from Internat arrival to Domestic departure? I fly with Kenya air, can I check in suitcase all the way from London to Mombasa? Thank you.

Mtwapa, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Newcastle upon Tyne, Bamburi, Mtwapa
Level Contributor
14,854 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Nairobi airport transfer to Mombasa flight

I've done this transfer many times with KLM / KQ, I've usually had between an hour and a half and two and a half hours to do it. I've always done it in less than an hour . Last time I only had an hour and one of my bags didn't turn up so I had to go to baggage control where they told me it hadn't made my 50 minute connection in Amsterdam and told me to see baggage control in MBA to make arrangements for it. I still made the connection.

Your bags will be checked through and you will have a boarding card for the Mombasa flight but you will still have to collect your bags. You have to collect them to go through customs. There are sometimes long queues at Immigration to buy visas though I've gone virtually straight through the last couple of times but if there big queues just go to one of the other desks and explain you have a short connection to make and they will usually let you use another desk. or if you are really struggling for time ask ground crew or KQ customer service to fast track you through Immigration.

Once you have got your bags and gone through customs turn left to leave Arrivals then go straight across the car park, you will see Domestic Departures in front of you, its less than 100 metres, you and your bags then go through scanners and the baggage drop desks are right in front of you.

On your return journey you do not have to collect your bags they are transferred automatically for you.