We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First-Time and Anxiety Stricken!

Which Nairobi hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Bellflower...
Level Contributor
8 posts
43 reviews
First-Time and Anxiety Stricken!

I am an african american female who has never traveled out of the U.S. My husband is from Nairobi but hasn't been home in some time. As our trip gets closer (39 days) I find myself more and more anxiety ridden. My questions have now irrated my husband so I am reaching out to others. I have been reading the forums constantly and researching everything that I can but I'm still nervous about what to encounter. I have already had my mind blown regarding the possible bathroom situation. Being a full-figured woman "squatting" seems like it will be a real challange. Basically can someone give some advice on how to address this fear and embrace the trip. Or if there are any african-american women who have been in this position words of encouragement. :) THANKS

Oakland, CA
Level Contributor
1,004 posts
188 reviews
1. Re: First-Time and Anxiety Stricken!

Hello to Bellflower CA

You will feel comfortable in Nairobi (assume that is one of your Kenya stops, since it is husband's home?) There are numerous modern shopping malls, coffee houses, and gorgeous residential neighborhoods /gated communities (Lavington, Karen) that will make you feel as if you're in the African version of middle and upper class America. There are plenty of other wonderful places that are very different from USA too---i daresay you will love it ALL!

I found fewer "squat toilets" in Kenya than i'd expected--saw none in Nairobi. Most were "western style"

You dont have to really "squat"--just sort of stand with one foot on either side of the drop-hole. Roll up the legs of your trousers, and make sure to bring lots of tissue, "wet ones" and hand sanitizer-- the latter because you may find you have to brace yourself against the walls as you hover over the toilet.(In India, I once got stuck in a very narrow stall which had one of those "toilets" place . After that, i never get into a position that will be nearly impossible to get out of.

OK...TMI ?

Don't be anxious, phisigchick. Easier said than done, but i expect you will LOVE your trip.

I'm not African American but my friends who are, and were fortunate enough to visit different parts of Africa, had the time of their lives!

uk
Level Contributor
1,311 posts
1 review
2. Re: First-Time and Anxiety Stricken!

lol

i would say most hotels and modern cafe etc have western style toilets so dont mind , if you find it hard to squat , just line it up and bend the legs a little to put it bluntly, or as you have 39 days to go just prctice squatting at home

you will enjoy it stop worrying

Somerset
Destination Expert
for Mombasa, Diani Beach, Kenya
Level Contributor
6,889 posts
21 reviews
3. Re: First-Time and Anxiety Stricken!

As I used to say to my kids before travelling, go while you can! Use the facilities in the hotels/lodges which are modern usually equipped with soap and running water. Its when you go further afield the facilities on offer are less salubrious.

As said, take a supply of tissue, wet wipes and hand gel just in case you are faced with a long drop or have a bush pee pee. When you gotta go......!!!

Nairobi, Kenya
Level Contributor
20 posts
4. Re: First-Time and Anxiety Stricken!

If need where to find good life style with any comfort that is Kenya i think you will be surprise when you land at JKIA and rock the party

at the hotel.

I totally disagree with the issue of tissue supply. unless you want to try local foods which your stomach can not adapt

Preston, United...
Level Contributor
78 posts
8 reviews
5. Re: First-Time and Anxiety Stricken!

hi .

got to say was plesently surprised by most of the toilets we encountered the ones in the shopping mals in nairobi were spotless and our driver patrick always tried to stop at the roadside shops were he knew they were okay . quite a lot of the gates into the parks have toilet blocks and all were seat toilets.the worse we came across were at the rhino reserve in tsavo dont bother .

if the idea of squatting is the problem my friend found a female pee bottle on the internet . just think at least theres doors on the loos not like in china were they just open cubicles.

as for the rest of it have a wonderfull time .everywhere weve been the foods been good the people lovely and the roads i cant lie terrible but hey if you wanted a long smooth road you would go the the florida keys .

Bellflower...
Level Contributor
8 posts
43 reviews
6. Re: First-Time and Anxiety Stricken!

Calinurse thank you so much!

Edited: 11:07 am, November 15, 2012
Bellflower...
Level Contributor
8 posts
43 reviews
7. Re: First-Time and Anxiety Stricken!

Thank you all for the detailed :) potty tips. Any other advice outside of the bathroom is welcomed as well. I'm a planner so I like to know what I'm getting into. Whereas the husband is an "experiencer" in which his philosophy is 'whatever happens, happens'

manchester, United...
Level Contributor
1,084 posts
76 reviews
8. Re: First-Time and Anxiety Stricken!

What will you be doing in Kenya? That might help us make some suggestions or alleviate your concerns. Are you staying inNairobi? Going on safari? Visiting relatives? visiting the coast? Travelling up-country? Driving or flying between sites?....that kind of thing.

Bellflower...
Level Contributor
8 posts
43 reviews
9. Re: First-Time and Anxiety Stricken!

I will be in Nairobi mostly. Spending 1 weekend in Mombasa. We are supposed to be staying with my husbands family while in Nairobi and renting a place at the coast from a family friend. Budget doesn't allow for a safari. So hoping maybe to go to the sanctuaries as they seem to be a little less expensive. I believe we will be driving from Nairobi to Mombasa. Not sure what else we can do. I found some "touristy" places to go but our budget is extremely small as this was sort of an impromptu trip.

Preston, United...
Level Contributor
78 posts
8 reviews
10. Re: First-Time and Anxiety Stricken!

hiya ,

if your in Nairobi we went to the elephant sanctuary and to see the giraffes don't think these were too expensive there is a park in Nairobi which people seem to miss but probably cause there going out to the national parks. and there is a park in Mombasa so you can still get to see some animals without having to stop in expensive hotels in the parks.

if your in Nairobi for the week maybe others could advise but navashai and hells gate isn't to far if you have a car and you can go out on the lake at navaisha to see the hippos or have a picnic by the lake .i think you could even camp in this area.

i don't know if your cooking for yourself but we found some massive supermarkets obviously dearer than the stalls but everything you could imagine available if you have the cash,

have a lovely time.

we go in a 105 days not that im counting .