We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

how to save the most money on a 1-2 night safari?

Which Nairobi hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
1 post
8 reviews
Save Topic
how to save the most money on a 1-2 night safari?

I want to go on a 1-2 night safari in late July 2013. I've been looking at some packages, and they seem too rich for my blood. I do not need running water, a bed, fresh food, or a tent. I'd like to rough it as much as possible. However, nearly all the tours I see include some costly western comforts that I have no need for. What's the best way for me, and a couple of friends, to go on safari with as little guidance and cost as possible? I'd be leaving from Nairobi. I do not mind heat, bugs, getting dirty, or getting into hazardous situations. Thanks.

Somerset
Destination Expert
for Mombasa, Diani Beach, Kenya
Level Contributor
7,014 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: how to save the most money on a 1-2 night safari?

Day trip to Mogadishu?

nyc
Level Contributor
14,418 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: how to save the most money on a 1-2 night safari?

Besides Mogadishu (good one Tembofan -:)

Suggest OP post on the Thorn Tree Forum where he will find low-budget/backpacker type travelers. Good luck!

UK
Destination Expert
for Malindi, Ukunda, Kenya
Level Contributor
4,712 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: how to save the most money on a 1-2 night safari?

I'd rather Gabe stayed here. There are low budget and backpacker typer travellers reading these forums, too. We don't have to have encourage budget ghettoes. Do we?

Gabe, you need a guidebook, a GPS/Smartphone and a 4WD vehicle with a driver. Then off you go!

Richard

nyc
Level Contributor
14,418 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: how to save the most money on a 1-2 night safari?

Richard -

TA isn't the be-all/end-all of where to post queries, why there are other options. Why not provide Gabe with alternatives that might better suit his needs and garner more replies.

UK
Destination Expert
for Malindi, Ukunda, Kenya
Level Contributor
4,712 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: how to save the most money on a 1-2 night safari?

I agree. I post there all the time. But just as I think it would be good if that community was a bit more savvy and organised, I think it would be good it this one were a bit more alternative and independent-minded.

Gabe: we'll help you out wherever you turn up!

Richard

Allentown...
Level Contributor
203 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: how to save the most money on a 1-2 night safari?

fresh food is actually an African comfort - not western. everybody has freshfood in africa as the common African does not have a fridge - just a wood or charcoal stove.

do not need running water, a bed, fresh food, or a tent = lack of service = non accountable for your wellbeing or life = non existent camp supplier

Traveling in Africa is not cheap. Entry fees into premier Kenya parks range from $80 to 100 per person/night.

the cost of living in Africa is more when in comparison to the the same "western comforts" as we do in LA or elsewhere in the states or in Europe. The image that Africa poverty equates to cheap experiences is a false premise.

Getting a "guidebook, a GPS/Smartphone and a 4WD vehicle with a driver." would be more costly than selecting a package.

A non western approach would to either take a matatu (public transport) to narok or voi, some canned food from nakumatt (that again is western) and head out on a day trip to the park using a hired vehicle - just kidding...

Safe travels

Visram

AfricanMecca Safaris

Leeds
Level Contributor
1,205 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: how to save the most money on a 1-2 night safari?

If not a bed and tent, then what instead? Just curious.

Somerset
Destination Expert
for Mombasa, Diani Beach, Kenya
Level Contributor
7,014 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: how to save the most money on a 1-2 night safari?

And you don't mind hazardous situations ??? Perhaps I'm too conservative, safe and non "alternative".

london
Destination Expert
for Zambia, Selous Game Reserve, Ruaha National Park
Level Contributor
4,365 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: how to save the most money on a 1-2 night safari?

It would be interesting if you could post how much the tours you have seen are.

Often, even the most budget safaris seem expensive because of the park fees- it's nothing to do with the level of comfort they provide. Park fees for the Mara, for example are something like $80 per person per day.

Also, I think a 1-2 day safari is not really enough from Nairobi. I guess you could go to Nakuru perhaps, or the Nairobi national park but I don't think it's feasible (or certainly not worth it) to drive to the Mara for only 1-2 nights.

Near London
Level Contributor
119 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: how to save the most money on a 1-2 night safari?

roughing without a tent?

Good luck you might just end up as a snack for a hungry lion or pack of hyenas