We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.
Book On TripAdvisor Bonus Book your hotel on TripAdvisor — then save 20% on things to do for your trip. Use code BOOKTOSAVE.

ATM at Wilson Airport???

Which Nairobi hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
San Francisco Bay...
Level Contributor
25 posts
102 reviews
ATM at Wilson Airport???

Flying in to Wilson Airport from Ngorongoro and then need to pay our Nairobi B&B in cash as they do not accept credit cards. Would (obviously) rather not carry around cash on our journey from home, and our bank charges a huge fee for wire transfers. Suggestions?

UK
Destination Expert
for Malindi, Ukunda, Kenya
Level Contributor
4,637 posts
9 reviews
1. Re: ATM at Wilson Airport???

As in the title of your post: get cash at the ATM (actually I'm sure there's more than one) at Wilson airport, near the little roundabout by the exit.

There are ATMs everywhere these days.

Have a good trip!

Richard

San Francisco Bay...
Level Contributor
25 posts
102 reviews
2. Re: ATM at Wilson Airport???

Thanks! I was able to find lots of info about Jomo Kenyatta but nothing on Wilson. Much appreciated, Richard!

nyc
Level Contributor
14,240 posts
3. Re: ATM at Wilson Airport???

How much cash are you talking about?

For how many nights at hotel in NBO?

Assume if they don't accept plastic they will accept USD? If so, just bring what's required. Or do they only want KSh?

Wire transfers cost max. USD$50 (usually less) so if you don't want to carry cash... wire the funds.

I always travel with more cash than needed for a few weeks in KEN/TNZ with no worries.

Oakland, CA
Level Contributor
1,012 posts
209 reviews
4. Re: ATM at Wilson Airport???

I landed at Wilson a month ago and needed immediate cash in Kenyan shillings, for the driver. I dont recall seeing an ATM IN the airport (what there is of it, size -wise) so may have missed it.

BUT, as soon as you get on the road outside airport, toward your B and B, wherever it is, there are numerous ATMS-- in banks, by petrol stations etc. Sometimes there are three different Bank- ATM booths in a row.

The only problem I had with an ATM anywhere was that my debit card is Mastercard, and some did not accept M'card debit cards.

Bungoma, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Kenya
Level Contributor
2,692 posts
2 reviews
5. Re: ATM at Wilson Airport???

In case of a choice, go for Barclays or KCB ATM first. I tried to use mine at another Bank and failed. I went in and asked the Manager and that was her advice. She also said the older machines can only read cards with magnetic strips.

Wilson General enquiries phone number is +254 20 660 9000

Edited: 5:32 am, September 14, 2012
Nairobi, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Nairobi, Kenya
Level Contributor
3,508 posts
25 reviews
6. Re: ATM at Wilson Airport???

There are ATMs at Tusky's T-Mall (shopping mall), a short distance from Wilson.

San Francisco Bay...
Level Contributor
25 posts
102 reviews
7. Re: ATM at Wilson Airport???

Thank you all for such great advice!

8. Re: ATM at Wilson Airport???

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:17 am, September 21, 2013