We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Recommendations for 24 hours in Nairbo

frixel
3 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Recommendations for 24 hours in Nairbo

Hi all, I arrive in Nairobi at noon on Saturday and fly out 5pm on Sunday. I want to go to the national park, orphanage, giraffe center, and have some time to go to some nice restaurants and do a bit of shopping. I need recommendations on everything. Where to stay with such a short/compact trip (hoping to find a hotel for under 200USD/night)? Should I use a trip organizer, or get a driver to take me to the park and sites? How much should I expect to spend if I get something organized?

Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

Nairobi, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Nairobi, Kenya
Level Contributor
4,507 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Recommendations for 24 hours in Nairbo

You'll find "everything" in Karen/Langata area. Place to stay, restaurants, shopping, sight seeing,etc,etc..

Pointless to venture anywhere else, since you don't have enough time.

Karen/Langata is 30 min drive from JKIA during Off-Peak

Do all your shopping on Sat & sight seeing on Sunday.

Have a look @ Rock House in Karen.

www.mountainrock.co.ke/Rockhouse/index.html

Nairobi, Kenya
Level Contributor
3,755 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Recommendations for 24 hours in Nairbo

"I want to go to the national park, orphanage, giraffe center, and have some time to go to some nice restaurants and do a bit of shopping. I need recommendations on everything."

Which orphanage? If it's the KWS Animal Orphanage (known by locals as "Nairobi Zoo"), don't bother. If it's Sheldrick (Elephant Orphanage) you can visit at either 11am or, if fostering a baby ele, at 5pm by prior arrangement.

I would recommend Macushla House ($145 for single, B&B) in Langata for accommodation - safe, clean, great location, very good value http://www.macushla.biz/

Nice restaurants in the Karen/Langata area:

Talisman

Rudi's

Brew Bistro & Bar (book for the Fine Dining, NOT the Terrace Bar)

ArtCaffe at Galleria (good for lunches, closes early so not for dinner)

Tokyo (Japanese/Chinese fusion; good Teppenyaki)

L'Osteria (home-made pasta, pizza and ice-cream is delicious but stay away from the steak!)

All the above are within 15-25 minutes' drive of Macushla House. I used to recommend Tamambo at Karen Blixen but we have had so many bad experiences there (atrocious food, very high prices and glacial service) that I don't send clients there any more.

For shopping, it depends what you're looking for. Kazuri Beads is well worth a visit (next door to Karen Blixen Museum in Karen) as is The FFRC at Marula Studios, about 5 minutes further on towards Karen on Marula Lane (they recycle flipflops and make the most amazing products out of them) http://www.theffrc.com/products.html

National Park will need a good couple of hours to get round, at least. Recommend that you go in early on Sunday morning. You will require a driver and suitable vehicle to do so. Entry for non-residents is, I believe, US$40.

Nairobi
Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Recommendations for 24 hours in Nairbo

Hi,

I would recommend you get accommodation at a hotel n Karen which is a very short distance drive from the JKIA.I would recommend Macushla House (&145)B/B.AT karen you will be able to visit,Karen Blixen,Girraffee Centre,Bomas Of Kenya,The Beasds Art ,David Sheldrick,and you have access for your shopping without driving to the city centre.

Nairobi, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Kenya
Level Contributor
3,073 posts
215 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Recommendations for 24 hours in Nairbo

Agree with the above

On Sunday

6 - 10 am Nairobi National Park

11 am Elephant Orphanage

12.30 pm Lunch

2.00 pm Giraffe Centre

3.00 pm Head to airport

Saturday - you can shop:)

5. Re: Recommendations for 24 hours in Nairbo

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:16 am, July 22, 2013