We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

review of "The Chocolate City Tour"

Seattle
Level Contributor
152 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
review of "The Chocolate City Tour"

I know there is pros and cons of the slum tours of Kibera and I am not going to get into that. I did this tour with the intent of introducing my 22 yr old niece to "another world" which I have experienced by being a volunteer for many years in India. This company is owned by Octopizzo, born and raised in Kibera. We only had a layover in Nairobi for the day. He met us at the airport and brought us back to the airport. The experience was amazing. He did an excellent job of going over the issues that are plaguing the residents and also the positive aspects. My niece experienced the smiles of the children and many of the residents. We were greeted warmly by all that we met. We had just finished a safari in Tanzania where we saw too many children with their hands outreached for money. There was none of this in Kibera.

We also saw some the the good works being done there, especially the organization that is helping women with hiv/aids be self sufficient. Ate lunch at a cafe in the middle of the slum. Good food!!

I highly recommend this tour. Very educational and eye opening on many levels. The best thing is the smiles and happiness that can be found there. It is a tough life but they are there with dignity.

Brooklyn, ny
Level Contributor
22 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: review of "The Chocolate City Tour"

If you are talking about the Voyager Hotel in Mombasa, it is about 330 miles away. Kibera is in Nairobi.

Edited: 7:31 pm, October 02, 2012
Brooklyn, ny
Level Contributor
22 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: review of "The Chocolate City Tour"

The five photos I took during the tour of Kibera are now on my profile.

13. Re: review of "The Chocolate City Tour"

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:18 am, December 14, 2013