We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Feasible itinerary for 1 day in Nairobi?

Which Nairobi hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
San Francisco...
Level Contributor
17 posts
163 reviews
Save Topic
Feasible itinerary for 1 day in Nairobi?

I am arriving a day earlier than my group which will be traveling through Kenya for 2 weeks. I have a driver booked for the day & am trying to figure out the day's priorities. My highest priority is the Sheldrick Wildlife Center & ideally I would like to go to both the 11 am public viewing & the 5 pm foster viewing (already booked as I adopted via the website & confirmed day).

I'd also like to go to the Kuzuri Bead Factory (even though I will be there on a Sunday and know only showroom will be open, would still like to support & see). Other thoughts are the Giraffe Centre & the Karen Blixen House. Difficult to tell on a map the distance/time between locations & as I mentioned, will be on Sunday so hopefully less traffic.

Thoughts/suggestions? Thank you.

Nairobi, Kenya
Level Contributor
96 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Feasible itinerary for 1 day in Nairobi?

Thats a viable itinerary and please note that Karen blixen and the girraffe centre are located in the same hood,within a stone throw distance,in the leafy Nairobi suburb called Karen.

Expect no traffic snurl ups on Sundays,unless of course if the presidential motorcade will be heading somewhere in that day!

Nairobi, Kenya
Level Contributor
96 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Feasible itinerary for 1 day in Nairobi?

Karen blixen and the girraffe centre are located in the same location...just a stone throw distance away from each other.

Expect no much traffic on Sundays unless if the presidential motorcade will be heading somewhere!

Nairobi, Kenya
Level Contributor
3,755 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Feasible itinerary for 1 day in Nairobi?

"I'd also like to go to the Kuzuri Bead Factory (even though I will be there on a Sunday and know only showroom will be open, would still like to support & see). Other thoughts are the Giraffe Centre & the Karen Blixen House"

Sheldrick is about a 15-minute drive through Kisembe estate from the Giraffe Centre which, in turn, is about a 10-minute drive from Kazuri - which is right next-door to the Karen Blixen Museum! All very close and do-able :-). Welcome to my neighbourhood!

Nairobi, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Kenya
Level Contributor
2,912 posts
193 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Feasible itinerary for 1 day in Nairobi?

i would suggest the following

9.00 am Giraffe (leave by 10.00 am to get to elephants)

11.00 am Elephants

12.30 pm Lunch at Karen Blixen Coffee Gardesn

1.30 - 4.00 pm Kazuri Beads & Karen Blixen Museum

4.00 pm head to Elephants again.

You will have a great day:)

Where are you staying?

nyc
Level Contributor
14,473 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Feasible itinerary for 1 day in Nairobi?

All doable.

A nice place to eat and less expensive than Karen Blixen Coffee Gardens is at Utamaduni Crafts, which is nearby Giraffe Center.

1:30-4pm is a bit of time*, so you might want to visit the Masai Market at YaYa Center that is open on Sunday.

*though I can spend an entire day at Kazuri... so many choices.

Enjoy!

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
44 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Feasible itinerary for 1 day in Nairobi?

With that day trip how much does it cost to hire a driver to take you around for the day?

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
17 posts
163 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Feasible itinerary for 1 day in Nairobi?

Thank you all so much for your insights & help. I am so excited to be traveling to Kenya.

roadwarrioraf -- we are staying at Nairobi Safari Club.

KailaC - I am actually not sure of the cost as I arranged a package which included airport transfer, hotel and driver for the day.

Nairobi, Kenya
Level Contributor
3,755 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Feasible itinerary for 1 day in Nairobi?

"A nice place to eat and less expensive than Karen Blixen Coffee Gardens is at Utamaduni Crafts, which is nearby Giraffe Center. "

I agree with 4sandi - Makutano at Utamaduni is under new management. The service and food quality is far superior to Karen Blixen, plus there's a really great shop there, should you feel the urge...

9. Re: Feasible itinerary for 1 day in Nairobi?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, June 21, 2013