We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kenya One Tours - Never to be used!!!!

Which Nairobi hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Johannesburg, South...
Level Contributor
11 posts
1 review
Kenya One Tours - Never to be used!!!!

I am a small, successful and independent travel agency and I would like to highlight an incident that has severely affected my one of my clients and my business. In the beginning of September 2011 I made a booking with a seemingly legitimate travel operator in Kenya for an exclusive Beach experience in Mombasa, Kenya for several families .The entire tour cost US$24,000.

I made the booking through Kenya One Tours, who received full payment from my clients in early December 2011.

This January 2012, when my clients tried to check out of Leisure Lodge Beach Resort, they were informed the bill had not been paid. Kenya One Tours never made the payment to the hotel.

My clients called me to help and I immediately arranged an emergency loan to pay the outstanding hotel bill of US$15, 350 out of my own pocket to save my clients from embarrassment and to maintain the integrity of my business and reputation. Had I not been in the position to make these payments my clients would have been stranded.

For the past 12 weeks, I have been unable to get Kenya One Tours to return the money they received for this booking in December 2011, despite contacting them daily / weekly.

I alerted the Kenyan Tourism Ministry as soon as I had heard that the bill had not been paid – in both the Nairobi and Mombasa offices – They found the tour operator and even had the consultant in question in their offices but did not take any action against her. After many calls to Kenya, I feel that they have not taken my complaints seriously and have taken no action against Kenya One Tours or to help return the money to me.

Thankfully, I was able to spare my clients this hassle, but this saga has left me substantially out of pocket and is placing a huge strain on my business operations. While there is not a huge amount that you can do to help me I feel it is only fair that I ask you to highlight these risks to both traveller and travel industry.

What people also need to understand is that Kenyan Tourism is either helpless or not interested in helping you when things really do go wrong.

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
35,440 posts
283 reviews
31. Re: Kenya One Tours - Never to be used!!!!

Oh there are some real villains out there. We had a case where a party of four got taken by a dummy booking, switched to a legit firm at the last minute having promised to pay. Got a great service and promptly got on the plane home without paying a red cent leaving a very helpful lady short by $20,000. Their 'excuse'?

"Another agent stole our money so we suggest you try and find him if you want paying."

Good luck with your endeavours. I should issue proceedings without a backward glance.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
24 posts
51 reviews
32. Re: Kenya One Tours - Never to be used!!!!

Sooo Sorry Helena that you had to go through this. I will always warn travelers to do due diligence and let you get response especially even here on TA!

If the membership is suspended from KATO it means that they have been severally accused. We have friends in Kenya let me know if there is any help that you may need to help you get back your money!

33. Re: Kenya One Tours - Never to be used!!!!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, May 15, 2014