We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Carnivore Restaurant

Which Nairobi hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Vancouver, B.C.
Level Contributor
25 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Carnivore Restaurant

I am heading to Nairobi next month and wanted to know if the Carnivore Restaurant is worth going to. I know years ago they served some of the wild game at the restaurant and I wondered if they still do this. I heard it is costly so is it worth it? What other restaurants would you recommend in Nairobi. We are staying at the Fairview Hotel.

Thanks for any info.

Hereford, United...
Level Contributor
6 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Carnivore Restaurant

Hi,

I, along with two relatives, went along on Thursday evening just before our filght home.

We had a good time, the food was of a pretty reasonable standard, if you're looking for top end then you'll be disappointed but a good filling meal is what you'll get.

You are correct in it being expensive for what it is, but having said that it was a fun experience especially if you like meat (obviously!!). You get a soup of the day, and a choice of 7 or so desserts along with Tea/Coffee aswell.

For the three of us it cost (with one drink each) about 9500ksh, that's about £25 per person or I guess about CAD$40.

From memory they had, Pork, Pork Ribs, Beef, Chicken (in all sorts of guises), Turkey, Ostrich, Lamb, Sausage(Beef), Sausage (Spicy Lamb). The 'out there, get a laugh' food included Ox Testacles and Crocodile - I chickened out at those!!

It got pretty busy by 7:30 in the evening, the atmosphere and ambience is fun.

If you are going with family and paying for everyone yourself then it's going to be expensive - I didn't really eat out anywhere else in Nairobi so can't comment on quality / prices otherwise.

As a one-off special and to say you've been, I'd recommend it.

Enjoy,

- Gary

Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
1,079 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Carnivore Restaurant

Hi,

you could always try the Nyama Choma restaurant in the Safari Park Hotel on Thicka road, we paid about $20 each and it was better than when we went to the Carnivore( some years ago though) and you also get a dancing show thrown in which in fantastic.

agy

Nairobi, Kenya
Level Contributor
3,755 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Carnivore Restaurant

haywoods - no game meat is served any more; it's illegal.

Always found it quite amusing that the same people oohing and aahing over beautiful creatures on safari would then come back to Nairobi and sit down to a plate of the same...

Edited: 8:00 am, September 27, 2010
Nairobi, Kenya
Level Contributor
3,755 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Carnivore Restaurant

Other restaurants worth trying are:

Onami (Westgate Mall; Japanese)

Furusato (Westlands; Japanese)

L'Osteria (Lenana Road, Lavington or Ngong Road, Karen; Italian)

Mediterraneo (Junction; Italian - amazing steak)

Brew Bar & Bistro (Ngong Road, next to Junction; fusion cuisine & micro brewery)

Vancouver, B.C.
Level Contributor
25 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Carnivore Restaurant

Thank you so much to all of you who replied to my post - your comments are very helpful! I certainly will make note of the other restaurants recommended and give one of them a try along with the Carnivore. Thanks again!

6. Re: Carnivore Restaurant

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:17 am, March 27, 2011