We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Arriving Jan 12th...need Hotel, Guest House, and Tour...

Which Nairobi hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Monterey, CA
Level Contributor
20 posts
2 reviews
Arriving Jan 12th...need Hotel, Guest House, and Tour...

We are arriving Jan 12th and will be needing a moderately priced hotel or guest house for our first two nights in Kenya. After we have gotten settled, we will be visiting the local tour offices to arrange for a few safaris. We will be in Kenya for four weeks and therefore are not pre-planning too much in advance. For hotels or guest houses we would like something fairly nice but under $125 US per day. We would really like to stay at a local guest house if in a safe area. WE operate a B&B ourselve and would love to meet and get to know the local folks better. For safaris and tours we are looking at camping, tent, walking, camelback, and such. We will also probably look at one lodge safari as well. We would like to include at least one trip into Tanzania. We will be using Nairobi as our base camp and therefore would love some ideas on what to do in the city itself. We have been planning and saving for this trip for over 15 yers and we are really excited. We have looked at several tour companies....Will Bell Tours and African Mecca...any comments? One thing we are learning as we do our research is that waiting until getting to Nairobi is going to save us hundreds of dollars in purchasing tours locally. Sorry for the long note....can you tell we are excited and need some help? Many thanks in advance.....

Tom and Bobbie

Monterey, CA
Level Contributor
20 posts
2 reviews
11. Re: Arriving Jan 12th...need Hotel, Guest House, and Tour...

Thanks for the recent posts to my original request. Planning a trip of this size is always a learning experience. The best advice I can share at this point is to really check out all companies contacted. I have written to the Kenya Association of Tour Operators requesting a recommendation on the folks I am currenlty working with and am awaiting their reply. What I am learning is that many, many tour operators "work" these forums drumming up buisness for their own firms. Some are honest like the chap a few posts up. Simply "googling" a screen name for instance has been very enlightening. I truly understand the plight of developing countries and I applaud the engenity of individuals to market and drive business to their own companies. However, in the spirit of world community honesty prevails above all other services. To some folks I may appear to be quite wealthy. It is all in the paradigm. I work very, very hard, and for long, long hours. I have being saving for this trip for a very long time. I want to spend my time and my savings wisely and with honest folks. The Kenya Ministry of Tourism website is also a great source of information. Thanks again.