We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

birdwatching in Nairobi

Which Nairobi hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
sussex
Level Contributor
50 posts
Save Topic
birdwatching in Nairobi

(I posted this in the Mombasa forum by mistake!)

Is there a suitable wooded spot to spend a few hours birdwatching in or close to Nairobi? I'll be staying at the Holiday Inn and have the whole day to spare.

Is it safe to walk about in & around Nairobi?

Thanks.

Trevor

UK
Destination Expert
for Malindi, Ukunda, Kenya
Level Contributor
4,698 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: birdwatching in Nairobi

tvsms

You can actually do birding all over the city - any garden or patch of ground can be good. But obviously you do need to think *security* while peering through your binoculars.

If you're based at the Holiday Inn, they have nice gardens, which will keep you busy. I'd also advise you to hook up with Nature Kenya. They're based at the National Museum (a five minute taxi ride from the Holiday Inn). They organize bird walks every Wednesday morning at 8.45am for Ksh100 (tel 020/3749957 http://www.naturekenya.org), but if that doesn't fit with you, they might be able to offer advice and ideally a good guide.

Happy birding!

Richard

Hythe, United...
Destination Expert
for Kenya
Level Contributor
2,334 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: birdwatching in Nairobi

You could also visit the Nairobi Ntional Park. There are plenty of birds throughout the park

sussex
Level Contributor
50 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: birdwatching in Nairobi

Thanks for your suggestions.

Yes! we bird watchers do look suspicious creeping about with binoculars. I'll try to be as open as possible!

Trevor

UK
Destination Expert
for Malindi, Ukunda, Kenya
Level Contributor
4,698 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: birdwatching in Nairobi

I wasn't so much thinking of people thinking you were acting suspiciously, as the fact that you can't be looking over your shoulder or keeping an eye on your belongings when your looking through your binoculars. But if you go in company, I'm sure you'll be absolutely fine (and probably would be anyway).

Richard

Kenya
Level Contributor
191 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: birdwatching in Nairobi

Hi,

There's a very beautiful nature trail in Karen..called the Oloolua nature trail. It's managed by the Institute of Primate Research and is a protected forest area with amazing species of birds. Their education officer (Gladys) should have more info (020-882571/2/3/4 | 0722-387137). Check this link for a taste of what you'll see there

flickr.com/photos/…

PS:It's in a very safe neighbourhood in Nairobi so no need to look over your shoulder:-)

sussex
Level Contributor
50 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: birdwatching in Nairobi

Great suggestion, Thanks

Trevor

7. Re: birdwatching in Nairobi

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, April 05, 2010