We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

The Long Bar

Which Nairobi hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Townsville
Level Contributor
48 posts
41 reviews
The Long Bar

The last time (1973) my husband was in Nairobi he sent some time at was then called "The Long Bar". We will be in Nairobi between Christmas & New and New Year 2009 and he would like to visit it. Does anyone know if it is still operating or where it was located. Just for OLD times sake it would be great to visit. All he remberes it was in the CITY and at 19 years old sobriety was not on top of his list.

Nairobi, Kenya
Level Contributor
3,755 posts
3 reviews
1. Re: The Long Bar

The Long Bar I know of is located in Karen, at the Crossroads, and is a grotty little hole. The same clientele have been going there as long as anyone remembers. Don't know if it's the same Long Bar though...

Townsville
Level Contributor
48 posts
41 reviews
2. Re: The Long Bar

Thanks FourOneZero but this 'Long Bar' was definitely in the city. We were told it was 'the' place to be and anyone who was anyone frequented the bar.

I (this is 'husband' responding) remember I stayed with a senior police commissioner while others in my party (we were the first Aussie sailors since WWII to visit Kenya) stayed with various other members of the Kenya Rifle Regiment on a shooting (target) visit. One host was an Aussie ex-pat olympic shooter and another was (excuse the spelling) Shafquat Sheik who later became a Police commissioner.

We had several 'interesting' nights at the Long Bar.

As a side note we were also official guests at the opening of a new majestic theatre where we watched the premier of 'The Godfather' movie.

Iver Heath, United...
Level Contributor
882 posts
2 reviews
3. Re: The Long Bar

Do you mean:

The Long Bar in the New Stanley Hotel

The Stanley's Exchange Bar was the first home of the Nairobi Stock Exchange. The original bar in The Stanley, called Long Bar was acknowledged by the English Sunday Times as one of the 'Famous Long Bars of The World'. It was replaced later by the Safari Bar on the first floor and later still by the Exchange Bar. This last was the birthplace of Nairobi's first and only Stock Exchange where previously four businessmen had sat, since 1954, transacting their business of stocks and shares.

Nairobi, Kenya
Level Contributor
3,755 posts
3 reviews
4. Re: The Long Bar

Wow, then I don't know, I'm afraid. Lots of bars come and go in Nairobi and there are always new and trendy ones to visit, but The Long Bar doesn't ring any bells with me.

There are quite a few other DEs for Nairobi on here; hopefully they will be able to help you. It would be nice if your husband was able to visit somewhere from way back! If he hasn't been back to Nairobi since then, he's probably in for a surprise (and not a particularly pleasant one, sadly).

Townsville
Level Contributor
48 posts
41 reviews
5. Re: The Long Bar

Simonbuck wrote;

"Sep 17, 2009 6:55 AM

Do you mean:

The Long Bar in the New Stanley Hotel

The Stanley's Exchange Bar was the first home of the Nairobi Stock Exchange. The original bar in The Stanley, called Long Bar was acknowledged by the English Sunday Times as one of the 'Famous Long Bars of The World'. It was replaced later by the Safari Bar on the first floor and later still by the Exchange Bar. This last was the birthplace of Nairobi's first and only Stock Exchange where previously four businessmen had sat, since 1954, transacting their business of stocks and shares."

Yes Simonbuck this was it! As soon as I read the New Stanley Hotel my memory (befuzzled as it is) clicked into gear.

Thank you. Obviously it is long gone but none the less great memories.

Margate, United...
Level Contributor
342 posts
25 reviews
6. Re: The Long Bar

Talking about memories my husbands dad was posted out to Kenya with the Black watch in the MauMau uprising and the only reason he came back was he sat down to have a cigarette and leant against a gum tree. There was some sudden activity and he tried to get up to respond with some other members of his troupe but was stuck to tree and had to wriggle out of his jumper. That saved his life as his friends were shot!!!

Rwanda
Level Contributor
509 posts
7. Re: The Long Bar

The Stanley would still be worth visiting for old times sake, there's usually a few in the bar, even if it's not quite The Long Bar andymore.

8. Re: The Long Bar

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:22 am, March 17, 2010