We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lunch at Utamaduni

Which Nairobi hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Appleton, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
965 posts
35 reviews
Save Topic
Lunch at Utamaduni

We just got our final itinerary and we are having lunch at Utamaduni Veranda. What sort of things do they have on the menu? I'm a little worried my picky kids won't find something to their liking. Is tipping your server appropriate? Thanks!

Telford, Shropshire
Level Contributor
2,431 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Lunch at Utamaduni

Hello, sorry it took a while to reply, I had trouble finding this place. I've found it on the web and this is what they're listing food-wise:

The Utamaduni "veranda" Restaurant is burstling with bird life, blossoms and bountiful hearty meals, thre Veranda offers a variety of tempting salads, homemade pasta ,pizza, sandwitches, luscious desserts and the famous Zanzibar soup.

Hopefully, there'll be something for the kids there and I don't doubt they'll do fries too!

Take a look at this website:

www.njewasafaris.com/Excursions-Nairobi.htm

And yes, it is appropriate to tip your server (and porters and receptionists and barman and cleaner etc etc), I'm sure they'll be very grateful for the money.

Hope this helps, Min x

nyc
Level Contributor
14,465 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Lunch at Utamaduni

The "Veranda" at Utamaduni gets good reviews for quality of food and the price. From above, though not knowing your "picky" eaters, seems like items young ones would enjoy.

Were you given a choice of eateries, of just this?

While the Carnivore (mostly meat) no longer has exotic game meats, children tend to enjoy as they can have as much as they can stuff in their tummies ... also a very relaxed environment. Price might be a bit higher than Utamaduni.

Tipping is appreciated.

Appleton, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
965 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Lunch at Utamaduni

Thanks a lot for the info!

Oceanside...
Level Contributor
342 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Lunch at Utamaduni

You don't say how old your kids are, but the group I was with in 2007 all found things they would eat at the Veranda, including fries. The big draw at Utamanduni is the shopping though. The prices are a little higher than you will find in other places, but some of the items you will see there are of higher quality and more unique than you will see in nearly any other shop, especially some of the carvings. I thought it was well worth the stop.

Darwin, Australia
Level Contributor
367 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Lunch at Utamaduni

jambo

'veranda' is very plesant..big garden 'open-air' setting..not a mssive menu but good continental food..

i have not been in the past year but they used to have yum fish fingers and delicious apple pie!

a small play area as well for your kids (if they still youngish)

found the shop over priced..

enjoy!

sw

Appleton, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
965 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Lunch at Utamaduni

The picky kids are 11 and they should be able to find something to eat on the menu posted.

The shopping sounds great, but it will be my first stop on a 17 day trip. If I buy something, I am going to have to cart it around with me for the rest of the trip!

Oceanside...
Level Contributor
342 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Lunch at Utamaduni

The shop can ship it home for you or if you are leaving for home on your last night from the same hotel in Nairobi, you can arrange to leave it there while you are out on safari. But you are right, it is hard to know if something is really what you want to buy when it is your first day.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
278 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Lunch at Utamaduni

In my opinion, the quality at Utamaduni will not be matched anywhere else on your safari -- you will also pay dearly for the quality. When I was there, I was in awe of the beautiful works of art -- some of the beading works were not East African though -- but also was shocked at the high prices. I'd definitely go there to buy (at least) one very good memento of your trip. See if you can pick it up when you swing back through at the end of your trip, though because shipping is extremely expensive (like hundreds of dollars) and not reliable and you don't want to cart something throughout the safari. Shame they didn't put that at the end of your itinerary.

Appleton, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
965 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Lunch at Utamaduni

Because of our flight from the Serengeti to Zanzibar we are reallly limited on our baggage. I will just have to find something small to purchase! I am packing sheets of bubble wrap to protect anything I buy.

We are just passing through Nairobi on our way to Tanzania and will only have a few hours between flights on the way back.

10. Re: Lunch at Utamaduni

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, December 25, 2009