We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Nairobi - things to do

Which Nairobi hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
australia
5 posts
Save Topic
Nairobi - things to do

Hi, my family and I - 2 teenage children - will be spending 2 days in Nairobi prior to going on a Tanzania safari. Does anyone have any 'must see or must do' things we should consider? Also, is it best to pre-book any excursions in Nairobi or is it easy enough to organise once we are there? Many thanks for any advice.

dubai
Level Contributor
254 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Nairobi - things to do

The elephant orphanage, giraffe park & Karen Blixon trips are well worth doing.

I would email the elephant orphanage before you go to find out the timings – if you adopt an elephant than you get to visit in the evening & help put your chosen one to bed otherwise it’s lunchtime feeding & bathing but no ‘hands on’ - it really is a fantastic place to visit.http://www.sheldrickwildlifetrust.org/

You should be able to do the giraffe park, Karen Blixon & elephant orphanage in 1 day – certainly 2 of them.

Carnivores is still worth a visit for dinner - lots of people say it's not what it was (and it isn't) but it's still a good evening.

People on here will be able to give you the names of a good driver - or you could arrange though your hotel or safari company (if they have Kenyan offices). You would only need to book Carnivore, the others you just turn up.

chicago
3 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Nairobi - things to do

Hi since you have teenagers i know they will enjoy seeing animals,i once was in Nairobi and had alot to see,through All Seasons Safaries and Tours i managed to visit the Giraffe centre,Karen Blixen Museum,Bomas of Kenya,Animal Orphanage,Ostrich farm and as time was on our side atour around the city and the whole tour was amazing as we had to see alot of things in ashort time and the experience of having aguided tour you can learn alot.

Darwin, Australia
Level Contributor
367 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Nairobi - things to do

jambo!

you can book all the above once here in nairobi; much cheaper to do it directly via a taxi company or through your hotel...

and you don't need a guide for this!

(i'll be happy to recommend)

and if you are here on a friday i would recommend a day at the 'village market' a lovely shopping mall which hosts the 'masai market' and that is loads of fun to walk around and shop for curios...also the whole ambience is very plesant with lots of varied eating places..your teenagers will enjoy it too!

australia
10 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Nairobi - things to do

Thanks for your advice everyone. I think the elephant orphanage is a must, and also the Karen Blixen museum. On a more general note, how easy/difficult is it to get around Nairobi? Are taxi's easy to find and not too expensive?

SF
Destination Expert
for Fukuoka, Kyushu-Okinawa
Level Contributor
2,930 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Nairobi - things to do

You forgot the giraffe park. We stayed there all afternoon enjoying feeding & watching other people enjoying them.

If you want to do some shopping, visit matbronze(254-20-891251). Denis, one of the owners we met is a British born in Kenya. It is located close to the giraffe park. They have cool bronze items that they make there, i.e. lions paw print belt buckles, elephants, giraffes and a lot more.

Make sure to foster a baby elephant(s) before you go. Just US$50 a year for one. This way you can greet when they comes back from mud bathing and meet the caretaker(s) in the stable. They also have a cute baby rhino who snuggles up to you. This Sheldrick Foundation site does a fantastic job of raising orphaned baby rhinos & elephants. They feed, take them out for exercise & sleep with them until they are old enough to go back to the wild. Recently they were overwhelmed by many baby elephants coming in after they were found almost dying without mothers and milk. Some did not make it. They need all the help.

Also I suggest to go to an Ethiopian restaurant about 1km past Yaya market. This restaurant has very good food, is very cheap, fast and large inside with outdoor huts scattered around.

Yaya shopping center has Sunday only outdoor market, good souvenir prices after bargaining, i.e. 400ks for a blanket.

The City Market is overpriced but you can find some good items if you can negotiate well.

London
Level Contributor
51 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Nairobi - things to do

The elephant orpahage sounds fantastic. I will be going to Nairobi later this year. Only have one day there but will definitely try to check that out! Do you know if they are open every day. Thanks for the tips

SF
Destination Expert
for Fukuoka, Kyushu-Okinawa
Level Contributor
2,930 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Nairobi - things to do

On the taxi fare, we hired a taxi for a day from our hotel, Sarova Panafric, just next to the city center park. We arranged to visit the beads factory, Matbronze Wildlife Art, the giraffe park, the elephant orphanage for 5,000ks. RT to any one of them costs 3,500ks.

enfield&ugunja
Level Contributor
391 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Nairobi - things to do

We would suggest you replace the Animal Orphange with the Safari Walk. Same place. All the suggestions can be booked when you get to Nairobi

Level Contributor
24 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Nairobi - things to do

MrandMrs...what is a Safari Walk?

enfield&ugunja
Level Contributor
391 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Nairobi - things to do

If you go to where the national park & Animal orphanage are you will find an entrance to the Safari walk same cost as the Orphanage and more exotic animals to seeand you can take your time to walk around. the lions are seen from above - however if you go in the morning take your own refreshments as the one inside doesn't open till about 12.30