We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day / Overnight Safaris from Nairobi

Which Nairobi hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Canton, Ohio
Level Contributor
47 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
Day / Overnight Safaris from Nairobi

My family is going to be in Nairobi for a month in June, working on service projects. However, we would like to break away for a day or two and take a short safari. Some info on us:

~ we are very flexible and can do it at any time during our stay

~ we are a family of five - three adults & two kids, ages 8/10

~ Amboseli is of the highest interest amongst nearby parks, as I'm a volcano buff, and would love to see Kilimanjaro. That doesn't rule out Masai mara or others, just that it would be the "coolest" if possible.

~ we are not doing this on a total shoestring, but it has to be kept to a raasonable amount. $500/pp per day is WAY out of the question.

~ can be anywhere from 1-3 days, although I'm guessing a 2 day/1 night trip would be best

Any recommendations on excursions that would meet our requirements? Operators? Websites?

Thanks!!!!

Canton, Ohio
Level Contributor
47 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Day / Overnight Safaris from Nairobi

So sorry, I should qualify that ANYTIME might not be appropriate. It'd have to be the latter part of June, as opposed to the earlier part. My apologies.

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,156 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Day / Overnight Safaris from Nairobi

In this format I would suggest either mada who are based in the Oakwood Hotel in Kimathi Street in Nairobi or Somak dont know where they are in Nairobi.

Also if you can get hold of one look up Safari operators in "The Rough Guide to Kenya". Of course also only use companies that are members of KATO

Canton, Ohio
Level Contributor
47 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Day / Overnight Safaris from Nairobi

Forgive me, but what is "KATO"?

Winchester, United...
Level Contributor
641 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Day / Overnight Safaris from Nairobi

Theres a company called Africa Expedition Support in Nairobi they do private trips and are really good with kids. think its camping only but they use walk in tents which are really nice and only took a minute to put up and they have the best food ever!!!!!! I know I put weight on with one of their trips!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
278 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Day / Overnight Safaris from Nairobi

KATO is the Kenya Association of Tour Operators. These are reputable companies that should provide a good safari. If they're not a KATO company, things could .. well.. perhaps not go so well.

nyc
Level Contributor
14,289 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Day / Overnight Safaris from Nairobi

Good thing about June travel is that safari prices are still at mid-season rates, so you should be able to get a driving safari to Amboseli or Masai Mara. Your room/tent rates will be competitive, but daily park fees have to be considered.

Most visit Amboseli for 2/days; Masai Mara for 3/dys. You can do the Mara for less time, but remember the drive each way is 5-6/hrs on terrible roads, why once you get there it's nice to stay awhile.

I assume the volunteer work you'll be doing has been arranged thru an organization. You might inquire of them their contacts for a few days safari and compare with inquiries made to a few outfitters (maybe 2 or 3) from the KATO site.

Pickering, United...
Level Contributor
3,018 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Day / Overnight Safaris from Nairobi

If you are a volcano buff see if you arrange a trip to Mounts longonot and Suswa. At the latter you can go underground and walk through old lava tubes - still warm and full of bat droppings so the kids should love it. We took a group of kids with us to both.

Lake Naivasha and Hell's Gate was another favourite weekend trip out of Nairobi along with Nakuru. Bandas are simple self-catering cottages which are available. Views of Kilimanjaro are splendid from Aboseli (we have a painting of our favourite view of it from Amboseli hanging here at home). You also get a great view from the Kitani bandas in Tsavo.

http://www.lets-go-travel.net/?q=hotel/found

Let's go also arrange trips etc as well as accommodation.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
278 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Day / Overnight Safaris from Nairobi

I agree that Let's Go is a great company if you are arranging a safari after you have arrived. They cater to all budgets/price points.

A note on the underground paths with bats -- you need to exercise extreme caution when you are in a bat habitat. Not only do they often carry rabies, but the guano (excrement) from bats is highly toxic. It can cause irreversible ocular and lung problems, as an archaeologist friend unfortunately found out when he was excavating in a cave.

9. Re: Day / Overnight Safaris from Nairobi

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:55 pm, March 25, 2009
Somerset
Destination Expert
for Mombasa, Diani Beach, Kenya
Level Contributor
6,944 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Day / Overnight Safaris from Nairobi

Another one - yawn yawn!!!