We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.
Book On TripAdvisor Bonus Book your hotel on TripAdvisor — then save 20% on things to do for your trip. Use code BOOKTOSAVE.

Trip Report!

Which Nairobi hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
53 posts
37 reviews
Trip Report!

My husband and I were in Nairobi from Dec 12th - Dec 16th and stayed with relatives. It was my husband's second time to Africa and my first.

On our first day we went to the Elephant Orphanage and Giraffe Orphanage (both off Langatta Rd). You have to be at the Elephant Orphanage before 10 as they are only out for about one hour. We didn't get a chance to interact with the animals so I wouldn't really recommend going unless you love animals and aren't going on a safari. The Giraffe Orphanage was awesome as we got to feed the giraffe's and pet them and got some awesome pictures and videos.

We spent some time at Diamond Plaza which I loved - they have great food, good service and some shopping. There are a few internet cafes there too which we used. You could easily spend 4+ hours here.

We went to Carnivore and Hashmi's - I wasn't too impressed with either. Carnivore doesn't serve game meat anymore and we got sick after eating at Hashmi's, but the food was pretty good. Stavrose was excellent and I'd recommend going there.

We did a lot of driving around as it isn't always safe to walk around. I found the traffic to be crazy, crazy, crazy! So allocate extra time for that.

We also went to the animal orphanage (Kenya Wildlife Services) and played with the animals - its best to go in the morning because they aren't as hot and aren't tired from just having been fed. We spent about 1-2 hours here but I think you can spend more. I would recommend getting a guide (we found one waiting inside at the front gates after we paid) - they get you in and share some stories with you - they don't charge but just give them a nice tip at the end! I believe its $10USD for non-residents to enter.

We went to the Masai Market which is only open on Friday's. I highly recommend going here - we did most of our shopping here and it was also fun to see what the locals make and sell. Always bargain (to less than half the price they tell you!).

We visited Westgate Mall and did some shopping there - its a completely modern shopping centre (with AC)! And we liked going to Nakumatt (grocery store) to stock up on snacks, drinks and fruits.

Overall, don't flash your camera or wallet. We didn't wear any jewellery on this trip at all and didn't go out too late at night. I found it at times difficult to get fresh air because of the burning garbage, and heavy traffic. And of course the poverty and racial treatment was a shock for me. It was a very interesting experience and I had a good time. We then travelled to Arusha by plane to start our safari!

If you have any questions feel free to ask.

Pretoria, South...
Level Contributor
367 posts
88 reviews
1. Re: Trip Report!

jambo!

out of interest where and what did you eat at DP ?

the hygiene standards were previously not upto the mark considering the parklands area has chronic water shortages..i am happy to read though that maybe this has changed? please advise.

thanks

sw

San Diego...
Level Contributor
55 posts
24 reviews
2. Re: Trip Report!

I really enjoy eating at Ranalu (or Ranalo) Foods when in Nairobi. Its very "typical" Kenyan food, good quality and pretty interesting atmosphere. Anyways, i miss Kenya.

Lees Summit
1 post
3. Re: Trip Report!

I'll be traveling to Nairobi in March for work; whirlwind tour in Kenya and Ethiopia working with refugees. At the end of my detail, I'll be back in Nairobi, and plan to spend a few days on my own there. I have a few very silly questions - forgive me for sounding so hick, but I'm definitely not a frequent traveler.

When you say don't wear jewelery - is it okay to wear my wedding ring set, or should I buy an inexpensive band to wear during my time there?

I'll be finishing up work on April 9th - right before Good Friday and Easter. Will I be able to do any sightseeing that weekend, or should I plan to stay a few days into the next week?

Unless one of my co-workers decides to stay on, I will be on my own. Do yo think that will be a problem?

Thanks!

Pretoria, South...
Level Contributor
367 posts
88 reviews
4. Re: Trip Report!

jambo lees!

your wedding ring will not be a problem at all - its just not safe to wear too much shiny gold jewellery mainly necklaces as that is easiest to snatch should you be in a dodgy area.

easter is usually busy time here in kenya so make your bookings early - but nairobi does tend to be rather quiet as most nairobians move out of the city for a break! but everything will be open (except offices and banks) so you can do sightseeing etc.

places of interest are actually far apart so your best bet will be to hire a taxi on a daily basis and be specific where you want to go/see.

sw

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
35,278 posts
283 reviews
5. Re: Trip Report!

Not too sure about TravelBB's comments on David Sheldrick Orphanage. We had a great time. The Baby Ellies are not "just out for an hour". They are out all day. It is just that they come to the Mud wallow at a set time, as they would do in the wild, and this is the best place to see them. "Petting" is counter productive to the aim of releasing back into the wild. Many of the orphans are traumatised by seeing their mothers killed by poachers so need to build their confidence again. There are no animals over about 3 years old there as at that age they go to 'big school' at Voi or Ithumba and slowly learn all the things they would have learned from their real mothers.

The release programme is working well and some of the earlier releases have now bred in the wild.

Do support this valuable work.

6. Re: Trip Report!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:16 pm, October 16, 2009