We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

United Travel Group

usa
2 posts
United Travel Group

Planning a trip in Sept. using United Travel Group. Anyone have experience with this agency?

Atlanta GA
10 posts
11. Re: United Travel Group

We used UTG, specifically Janet Shaffer, for our trip to Tanzania in October 2009. I was very hesitant to go with UTG, since I couldn't find feedback on the internet. I checked them out with the Secretary of State in PA, where they are located, and no litigation has been brought against UTG. I also called the Better Business Bureau and found no complaints there. Janet Shaffer did a remarkable job of customizing an itinerary that was perfect for us (devising and explaining several options). We overnighted in Nairobi and then flew to Zanzibar for 8 nights on the island (three in Stonetown west, two at Breezes Beach Club east, and three at Royal Zanzibar north). Then, we took a tiny plane with Coastal Air that ended up just being the three of us and the captain...very exciting! We arrived at Arusha, where we were met by Ranger Safaris and guided throughout our safari in Tanzania. Everything was well organized, and Janet really knows Africa. In fact, we met her while she was on a 'familiarization tour' (her 11th!) at a lodge atop the Ngorongoro Crater. She is as nice as she is knowledgeable! I would recommend UTG to anyone who is a little nervous about Africa and doesn't want to be 'left to their own devices' when it comes to lodging and transportation.

Gaithersburg, MD
2 posts
1 review
12. Re: United Travel Group

My friend and I have booked a safari trip in Kenya through Micato. We decided to add on about 5 days in Cape Town, but when we priced the extension with Micato, it was very expensive. We found UTG and the person I talked with last week (Cindy) seemed very knowledgeable. And like the earlier post said, the prices seem too good to be true. So I was also looking for some references. For the person who replied about using them for South Africa, where did you stay? I'm not sure what they will work up for us -- we are expecting the proposal tomorrow.

moncton nb
1 post
13. Re: United Travel Group

Did you have your experience with United Travel Group?If so how were they?

Gaithersburg, MD
2 posts
1 review
14. Re: United Travel Group

Actually, since we are just planning to stay in Cape Town for about 5 days, we decided to make the arrangements for the hotel and flights ourselves, and book the tours through the hotel. It was a lot cheaper than paying a premium to a third party. I think you can get good deals with them if you go with a group. But since we required flying into Nairobi and out of Cape Town, we couldn't take advantage of their deals. And we realized there was little value added to have them make the arrangements for us.

15. Re: United Travel Group

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:25 am, November 24, 2010