We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Arusha

canada
10 posts
Save Topic
Arusha

we are planing a safari to Tanzania, we have fixed dates and would like if anyone had some ideas.

Jan 11th to Jan 16th 2009

we have a choice to fly to NBO or DAR from Dubai

we arrive in NOB at 14.55pm on the 11th or 15.25pm in DAR :

please advise take a shuttle from NOB to Arusha or a flight from DAR

either way we have to leave on the 16th 16.20 from NOB or 17.20 from DAR

Based on the days we have any recommendations as in

Hotels, tours with website address or tel # and what to do.

we are a family of 4 ( two kids boys age 7 and 11)

any help would be appreciated

arizona
Level Contributor
102 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Arusha

Try Basecamp in Arusha. We checked A LOT of companies and Basecamp was recommended many times on this site. We are taking the shuttle from Nairobi but that eats up a full day. How about flying into Kili airport. Our outfitter offered to pick us up there. Check that out when you ask for quotes. Wow, 5 days so I wouldn't waste time on a shuttle.

We are flying from Nevada and flew from Wash. DC last year - it's a killer. When you get there you will forget all about the flight.

Oceanside...
Level Contributor
342 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Arusha

Explorer,

First off you should post this in the Tanzania Forum if you haven't already. You will get lots more help.

You should fly in to NBO then take Precision Air to Kili airport. It will cost you about $250US each, but it will save you a full day over driving either from Dar or Nairobi. By the time you get out of the airport and drive all the way to Arusha from either city you will have spent an entire day. The flight on the other hand is only an hour or so either way.

Safe Travels

nyc
Level Contributor
15,014 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Arusha

Both Emirates flights arrive early enough (if on time) at either NBO or DAR. From either you can fly to JRO (or Arusha... if from DAR).

With only 4/days for safari, I'd get schedules and price quotes for round-trip fares for:

- NBO/JRO/NBO

- DAR/JRO (or Arusha)/DAR

and see which works. But, figure easily $500+ each traveler, though there might be some discount for the children.

...with Emirates departing early from either NBO or DAR, that last day will be short in order to catch whichever flight. Flights do not leave hourly and you have to allow sufficient time to collect bags and change terminals (in DAR); same terminal, but a hefty walk at NBO.

Kenya
Level Contributor
213 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Arusha

Hi,

Try writing to Takims Holidays - they are great very efficient and reliable address as follows:

TAKIMS HOLIDAYS

info@takimsholidays.com

www.takimsholidays.com

Enjoy...

Mombasa
Level Contributor
88 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Arusha

Hi ,

I am not sure what the fares are from Dubai but either Kenya Airways to Nairobi and connect to Kilimanjaro.

Alternatively Ethiopian Airlines via addis to Kilimanjaro airport direct. It arrives i think at about 2.00pm and will allow you to go straight on safari. The closest parks being Tarangire and Lake Manyara.

Then you could do Ngorongoro.

Typical itinerary ;

Day 1 : Tarangire

Day 2 : Ngorongoro

Day 3 : Serengeti

Day 4 : Serengeti

Day 5 : Lake Manyara

Day 6 : departure

Hope this helps.

Thanks.

Tango.

canada
10 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Arusha

we have to take Emriates because we have a connecting flight back to Toronto....and we are spending christmas and Newyears in GOA India....so i cant change airline..

Burlington
Level Contributor
33 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Arusha

I would recommend that you take a direct flight connection from either NBO to JRO or DAR to JRO. The flight from NBO to JRO would cost you approximately $250 and DAR to JRO is about $190.

Whichever option your find cheaper might be of help to you.

When choosing a tour operator, ensure you choose a TATo member, www.tatoz.com!

All the best in your travels.

canada
10 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Arusha

Thanks for all the help ...does anyone know flight schedules from DAR to Arusha Airport or any Airport close to Arusha.

My Flight Lands at 15:25 Jan 11th 2009 (depending how long we take to clear customs etc...) maybe 18:00 departure from DAR

Leaving Jan 16th My flight leaves DAR @ 17.25 so I have to be at DAR around 15:25 ( 2 hrs before?? or 1 hr pls advise)based on that I have to leave Arusha around 11am ...on the 16th...

thanks for all the help...

nyc
Level Contributor
15,014 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Arusha

First, the two airports in the north are either JRO or ARK (Arusha).

On arrival at DAR there is a flight at about 6pm to either JRO or ARK; not sure whether this is Precision or Coastal.

From ARK or JRO there is a flight around 12N to DAR; again, not sure whether on Precision or Coastal.

Have the agent book these for you.

canada
10 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Arusha

after doing some more research ( found this site really useful flightstats.com/go/FlightAvailability/flight…

you can get sechdules of flights any airport in the world.

question: My last night is at Bougainvillea lodge Karatu.

How far a ride is that to JRO Airport.