We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

More visa question

Which Nairobi hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Texas
Level Contributor
44 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
More visa question

Just thought of something - when doing a Kenya-Tanzania safari, I understand that we can get the Tanzania visa at the Namanga border, and the Kenya visa on arrival at Jomo Kenyatta airport.

The question is this : Do we need to get another Kenyan visa on return to Kenya from Tanzania? We're boarding our flight in Nairobi the last day - returning from Tanzania. How much is the Tanzania visa and do we need photos? Thanks.

nyc
Level Contributor
14,287 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: More visa question

When you arrive Nairobi, purchase a regular Visa @ $50/person. This will allow you re-entry to Kenya at conclusion of your time in Tanzania.

At Namanga, you have to show proof of Yellow Fever inoculation (with Yellow Book provided by whomever did the jab) or no entry*, plus visa application and USD$100/person for the Visa.

*they can give you the YF inoc here, but I don't think you'd want to do that!

No photos are required for either Visa if purchased on-site; they have you and Passport in front of them.

Texas
Level Contributor
44 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: More visa question

Thanks.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
297 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: More visa question

I've just come back from Kenya and Tanzania for the second time in two years--both trips at a month each.

If you begin in Kenya with your safari, then you will need to pay the $50 USD upon arrival into Kenya.

When you cross the border into Tanzania, you will be required to pay another $50 USD at the Kenya/Tanz border for your Tanz visa.

After your safari in Tanzania and you are returning to Kenya, you will have to pay another $50 USD if spending more time in Kenya (meaning more time than just an airline transfer at the airport).

***if you are flying into Nairobi from Tanzania, then you may be required to pay a $20 USD Transfer Visa if you are arriving and leaving same day.

I experienced this very thing when I began some time in Kenya, went to Tanz for a couple weeks, then back to Kenya for a couple of days.

A visa is good (usually for 3 months) as long as you remain in that country for up to 3 months. Once you leave that country and go back to the first country, you have to pay for a new visa in that first country.

hope this helps.

G.

nyc
Level Contributor
14,287 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: More visa question

Virginia -

Please follow my instructions.

For US passport holders the cost of Tanzania Visa is USD$100, unlike for citizens of other countries (@ $50).

Your Kenya Visa purchased on initiall arrival at USD$50 is good for the time in Kenya and when returning to the country after you conclude time in Tanzania.

If returning from Tanzania to Kenya by bus, the initial Kenyan visa is sufficient at Namanga. If you are returning via air the initial Kenyan visa is sufficient whether flying into Wilson (domestic) or JKIA* (international) airports. NO need for a Transit Visa.

*if flying direct into this airport and staying in terminal waiting homebound flight, they won't even check your passport for a visa... you become an "in transit" passenger and remain airside.

5. Re: More visa question

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:17 am, October 02, 2009