We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help with accomodations

Which Nairobi hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Texas
Level Contributor
44 posts
5 reviews
Help with accomodations

Ok. We have booked our safari to Masai mara in August. Of course my daughter wants to arrive a day earlier and stay a few days longer. Can someone please recommend a hotel close to the Jomo Kenyatta airport with airport shuttle at least? I looked at the Panari Hotel and they are expensive and fully booked for arrival Aug. 2. Hilton Nairobi is about $120.00 (cbeapest I can find) but they are located closer to the Wilson airport. The youth hostels are very reasonably priced but they are located on the outskirts of town. My daughter is meeting with us at 6:00 am the next morning at the Jomo Kenyatta airport. So, a budget place close to Jomo Kenyatta will be very helpful.

Another request in this forum - she is staying a few extra days to go to Amboseli (for a view of Mt. Kili). Our last day of the safari takes us from the Ngorongoro Crater to Nairobi Jomo Kenyatta airport. Questions: (1) Is there a way she can go direct from Ngorongoro Crater to Amboseli without using a pre-arranged safari? (2) Are there public buses or shared shuttles that she can take from Nairobi or Arusha to Amboseli? (3) Lodging at Amboseli with a view of Mt. Kili - any suggestions? She is on a budget so is not looking for anything fancy.

Thank you.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
297 posts
1. Re: Help with accomodations

on the hotel question......Hotel Boulevard is a good, clean hotel that should run a person about $50-60USD per night. I stayed there last year and will be staying there again in June. It is also a security controlled property--which is also another nice feature.

The cost for a cab from the hotel to the airport is $20USD.

I know of a very good cabbie too that looked after me very well when I was there last year. If interested in his contact info, just drop me a note: georgiegal1@hotmail.com

Here is the website if you'd like to contact the hotel.

http://www.hotelboulevardkenya.com/about.htm

Cheers,

Georgina

nyc
Level Contributor
14,272 posts
2. Re: Help with accomodations

Ngorongoro to Amboseli - once you get to the Kenya border at Namanga, it's another 20+miles East to Amboseli on a terrible road and no public transport. If your daughter wishes to book space at a lodge, they might provide the transfer, but it's rather costly especially for a solo traveler.

Nairobi to Arusha - bus - yes, there is shuttle bus service (about $25/pp each way), but as above, even if she got off at Namanga, she has to get into Amboseli.

Option: Porini Camp does have a small camp right outside of Amboseli on private lands, which does game drives in the park and from where she might catch a view of Kili. Porini does have some interesting 2/night packages with transport to/fr Nairobi. But, there will be a supplement as a solo traveler. Their "rack" (most expensive) rates are $980/person as single for 2/nts incl. daily park fees incl., soft drinks, beer and house wines incl., full day in Amboseli, transport by vehicle to/from Nairobi; transfer from Namanga is $85pp, but minimum 2/pax (she might have to pay double).

Have her google Porini and see their offering, send an email, explain her situation and see if they can assist.

Bungoma, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Kenya
Level Contributor
2,699 posts
2 reviews
3. Re: Help with accomodations

I also needed a hotel near to JKIA and found the Panari much too expensive. Friends booked me into the Bounty Hotel. I posted this info and I don't know if anyone else tried it. If you click on my name and look at my previous posts from last year, you can find all the info.

Ann

Nairobi
Level Contributor
171 posts
4. Re: Help with accomodations

There is Mvuli House in Nairobi West, You wont need to get into the city centre about 15 mins drive to JKIA and they do have cabs available. Red Court is also near by but more expensive.

Nairobi
Level Contributor
171 posts
5. Re: Help with accomodations

as for the Amboseli National Park, there are no public busees neither shuttles going there. the best option would be to get a join in safari on the dates. In amboseli there are a few choices with Amboseli Serena and Oltukai being the 5*, Tortilis Camp is an exclusive camp and more expensive. On the average end we have Amboseli Sopa. All this are inside the Park. Kibo Safari Camp has the same rate as Sopa but is outside the Park, same as Satao Elerai Camp. Those inside the Park have the best views of the mountain

Carmel, California
Level Contributor
3,209 posts
11 reviews
6. Re: Help with accomodations

Amboseli Sopa is quite a ways outside of the park too, much further than Kibo.

Wyllie South Wales
Level Contributor
177 posts
1 review
7. Re: Help with accomodations

We stayed at Satao Elerai for 3 days it wasnt untill the 3rd day we actually seen Killy in her full glory the staff are excellent and very friendly the manager Andy is very helpfull and they have fully equiped lodges and tents

Only thing with most of the camps is after 11pm you got to use windup torches

Wyllie South Wales
Level Contributor
177 posts
1 review
8. Re: Help with accomodations

link for Elerai

africanmeccasafaris.com/kenya/safaris/lodges…

Nairobi
1 post
9. Re: Help with accomodations

My name is Antony Mwaniki, a director of the Mvuli House, budget Bed & Brerakfast Hotel about 15Mins from JKIA. We would love to host your daughter for the time she is in Nairobi. We can give a special introductory offer. Please give me a call on +254-720769598 or email amwaniki@acp-africa.com

Antony

Kenya
1 post
10. Re: Help with accomodations

There are so many ways i which she can get accommodation its not only the hotels that she can stay at.

What i would suggest for you is a home stay in Embakasi Estate its the nearest estate near Jomo Kenyatta and most of the airport workers do stay there.

Home stay is the cheapest accommodation you can get.