We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

private car transfer to Tanzania from Nairobi

Which Nairobi hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
108 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
private car transfer to Tanzania from Nairobi

Has anybody travelled by car or bus from Nairobi to Arusha via Namanga recently and if so, did they feel safe, see any evidence of violence etc? We have put off cancelling our car and changing to flying as we would like to see more of the countryside, but not if we put ourselves in danger. We are not due in Nairobi until 28 Feb but leave Aust. on 14 Feb.

kenya
Level Contributor
48 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: private car transfer to Tanzania from Nairobi

I think you tour operator can assist you on this, February is still a long way and one can only tell when the time nears then

Oslo, Norway
Level Contributor
55 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: private car transfer to Tanzania from Nairobi

The area between Athi River (near Nairobi) and Namanga is not very populated. Presently it is not a problem driving that route. On the Tanzanian side it is absolutely safe (apart from the normal hzsards of driving in Africa.)Follow the news on allafrica.com to see how politics develop in the country. If you drive you must of course visit Amboseli park on the way if you haven't been there before. That's where you take photos of elephants with Mt Kilimanjaro in the background - The Ultimate Africa Photo.

nyc
Level Contributor
14,315 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: private car transfer to Tanzania from Nairobi

February is a long time from today. Believe things will have quieted or be long in the past by then.

There's not much to see on the road from NBO/Namanga.

The bus is inexpensive in the $25-$40/person each way... takes about 5/hrs NBO/Arusha. Private car price can be hefty in the hundreds of dollars - $400 o/w.

Ascertain options - flight, bus, pvt car - and costs, but wait a few weeks to make any changes.

Oceanside...
Level Contributor
341 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: private car transfer to Tanzania from Nairobi

I spoke to a friend who did the drive from Nairobi to Namanga last week. No problems at all. There have been no problems in Maasai land in general.

Is there any particular reason you are driving? Its a very long drive, and you can fly for about the same price. I've driven the Nairobi-Namanga portion many times and have never made it in under 5 hours, and thats with just 3 people in a small 4 wheel drive going as fast as we were able. The road is pretty good in most places, but its still a long drive.

I'll be doing Arusha-Namanga next week then Namanga-Nairobi around the 23rd of Jan. I'll do a post when I return and let you know how things are, but I've been in touch with the people down there and they have said that except for shortages of food there are no problems.

5. Re: private car transfer to Tanzania from Nairobi

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:16 pm, September 15, 2009