We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Secure Security Nairobi Airport ??

Which Nairobi hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
staffordshire
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Topic
Secure Security Nairobi Airport ??

Hi Folkes,

Does anyone know how the secure security works at the airport I have been told by our tour operator (Thomson) that as we go straight on to our Safari our suitcase for following week in Mombasa will be kept there.... also does anyone know if we have to leave our safari bags there when we pick up the case ??? i'm confused about this bit I must admit (we are leaving our clothes so there will only be bits anyway ) from reading the posts I think most people fly into Mombasa I hope I haven't got it the wrong way round !!! tickets have arrived sooooooooo excited we fly from Heathrow on the 24th 20:00 with Kenya Airways is anyone else on our flight ?? I will probably be posting all week now with last minute questions and drive everyone mad....lol

cheers Kate

Dartford, United...
Level Contributor
965 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Secure Security Nairobi Airport ??

Most trips start with one night in Nairobi so you would normally leave your beach suitcase at the hotel there to pick up on your return. If you are going straight off on safari I would imagine that Thomson's local operator will take care of your case, not it being left at the airport. When you return to Nairobi at the end of your safari you will be reunited with your case and then take all bags to Mombasa with you. Best to have a lock on this bag when you leave it.

I'm not on your flight but wish I was!! In fact, I wish I was on ANY flight there!

staffordshire
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Secure Security Nairobi Airport ??

Thank you Mwingereza for your post it would seem more logical how you put it but our itinery is straight off to Amboseli from the airport lunch at the Ol Tukai Lodge... there until after lunch the next day when we come back for a night in Nairobi then off to lake Nakuru /Naivaisha for one night and then on to the Masai Mara for two nights back to Nairobi and then fly to Mombasa for a week then back to Nairobi ...... I'm sure it will all become clear I would try and squeeze you in but somehow I don't think there will be any space !!!

cheers Kate

Dartford, United...
Level Contributor
965 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Secure Security Nairobi Airport ??

Sob! Sob! And Ol Tukai as well!!! Have a brilliant time anyway - and think of me sitting here, dreaming.

Leeds, United...
Level Contributor
289 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Secure Security Nairobi Airport ??

I tell it as it is I,m affraid.

The security at Nairobi is non existant!

Due to my Kenya Airways flight to Mombasa via Nairobi being cancelled, we ended up sleeping in Heathrow T4 over night and caught the Saturday morning flight direct to Nairobi with no onward flight to Mombasa.

A word of advise - pre fill in your visa application form as when you get to immigration the que for people who had not completed this form was 2 too 3 hundred deep. There was no-one waiting at the desk for pre completed visas so we went straight through to the baggage claim - this is where the fun begins.

All the suitcases had been thrown off the belts onto the floor when I discovered a taxi driver walking off with my case trying to convince me he was taking me too my hotel!

Number 1 - how the hell did he get access as well as others to 'airside' let alone try and con a taxi ride out of me? I saw no security and no police at all - be warned!

staffordshire
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Secure Security Nairobi Airport ??

Well I hope we have a better experience ...sorry you had a bad time hope it didn't spoil the trip for you ..I have read an earlier posting from Drakesdrum who stated that our tour operator should have it organised so keeping my fingers crossed..... we have our visa forms filled in ready and have found tripadvisor invaluable .

It seems from reading the posts and I have read alot LOL that most people have a fantastic trip ... but what ever happens it will certainly be an experience of a life time

Cheers Kate

Kilmarnock, United...
Level Contributor
17 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Secure Security Nairobi Airport ??

We were with Cosmos (Safari was with Somak).

We were picked up at the airport and taken a few miles to Somak premises where we were given the chance to freshen up, have a shower and a light bite.

The luggage for the coast was stored in a locked storage cupboard, while we went on safari.

The premises is fully security guarded, it was the Somak offices and where the safari vans were garaged.

On our return from safari we picked up our luggage and a fish and chips lunch was provided.

I do not know if Thomson use this company, but if it is similar situation I would not be concerned.

www.somak.com

Leeds, United...
Level Contributor
289 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Secure Security Nairobi Airport ??

The security at Somark is tight but my point is that the security in the airport is terrible.

Its no use thinking my luggage will be safe with Somark if someone has already wandered off with it in the baggage claim while you are waiting to clear customs.

In my own experince, by chance I just happen to notice a 'local' walking off with my case as I came down the escalator into baggage claim - very secure!!!!! NOT!

Kilmarnock, United...
Level Contributor
17 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Secure Security Nairobi Airport ??

I appreciate your comments at the airport, however, that was not what kenkar57 was enquiring about.

9. Re: Secure Security Nairobi Airport ??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:17 am, September 10, 2009