We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Nairobi vs Zanzibar

Which Nairobi hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
KC
Level Contributor
19 posts
39 reviews
Save Topic
Nairobi vs Zanzibar

I am traveling back from Dar es Salaam with a day or two extra to spend. I have a choice between staying that extra day or so in Zanzibar or stopping over in Nairobi (doing both may not be out of the question if I just do a long one day layover in Nairobi). It sounds like Zanzibar may be a great trip but I am not too much into beaches but seeing new cities and people.

Any advice?

Tempe, Arizona
Destination Expert
for South Africa, Sabi Sand Game Reserve
Level Contributor
8,039 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Nairobi vs Zanzibar

Well, Nairobi is a good place to see what life is like in an African city. Busy, busy, busy. Safe to walk the streets downtown and stop in shops, restaurants. Things to do? Touristic places out of downtown include the Karen Blixen home/museum (she wrote 'Out of Africa', Giraffe Center where you can feed the giraffes, Nairobi National Park, which actually is a decent place for a game drive, especially if your trip hasn't included any safari time up to that point.

Zanzibar Stone Town is a glimpse of life along the Indian Ocean coast from years ago. It can be very interesting, if such experiences interest you. Even the tour of spice plantations is interesting. But the rest of Zanzibar tourism does focus on water activities along the beaches.

Charleston, South...
Level Contributor
75 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Nairobi vs Zanzibar

Zanzibar is an absolutely fabulous place..Stone Town is GREAT for viewing the old town and the people here..little cafes to sit at and watch. There are a couple of good hotels (not real expensive) in Stone Town..you CAN avoid the beaches very nicely.,..we did..yes, spice tour is nice and can be booked right near the water by Stone Town. Good market area there too..unusual fruits and the people are friendly.

Have been to Nairobi, too, and it is not quite the "get out and walk around" place Zanzibar is..Zanzibar is quite Exotic. I vote for Zanzibar for people and an interesting place!

Sherry

3. Re: Nairobi vs Zanzibar

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:15 pm, September 06, 2009