We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

16h layover-visit Nairob or spend time at airport (Jomo Ken)

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
23 posts
Save Topic
16h layover-visit Nairob or spend time at airport (Jomo Ken)

Hi there,

I'll be in Nairobi (Jomo Kenyatta International) in November.

I'll arrive about 14:00 and my next flight departures 06:15 next morning. Should I:

a) buy transit visa and spend evening in Nairobi. Since I'll arrive so late, it's probably dark after I'll check-in in hotel etc. Is there any point doing that?

b) spend those 16h in airport. I need to get my luggage and check-in it for next flight. Is it possible without buying transit visa? I am ready to buy lounge-pass to feel more comfortable.

Thanks!

7 replies to this topic
Nairobi, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Nairobi, Kenya
Level Contributor
5,476 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 16h layover-visit Nairob or spend time at airport (Jomo Ken)

<< Since I'll arrive so late, it's probably dark after I'll check-in in hotel etc. >>

2 PM is broad daylight when you land.

16 hours transit time is quite a long time to kill.

Option 1. You can get a transit VISA to step out of JKIA & spend overnight at any hotels like Lazizi, Eka, Ole Serena (on the high end). Aero Club is good value for money. The Carnivore Restaurant (in Langata) is very popular with tourists if you fancy Meat Carvery + Ala Carte,

Option 2: Sit out at JKIA in any of the VIP Lounges. The JAVA Coffee House at JKIA serves hot meals. beverages / drinks.

https:/…nairobi-airport.htm

Check-in at 04:15 for return flight is an awkward time since it will be dark.

FYI - the Lazizi is inside the airport complex but quite costly.

https://www.tripadvisor.com.ph/ShowUserRevie…

Good Luck

Edited: 4:23 am, September 18, 2017
Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
730 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: 16h layover-visit Nairob or spend time at airport (Jomo Ken)

If your next international flight is to Tanzania, after over 12 hours transit you will require yellow fever cert on arrival in Tz,

Also if you are in transit for onward international flight, maybe your next airline wants you to collect and check in again due to length of wait in transit, but you could still kindly request any official airport staff around immigation if they can help you collect without transit visa because you are considering using airport lounge,

Nairobi, Kenya
Level Contributor
280 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 16h layover-visit Nairob or spend time at airport (Jomo Ken)

There is the The Lazizi Premiere , the luxury hotel right in the Airport. Its expensive, but it also depends on your budget. 16 hours at the airport will be too much. Eka Hotel is affordable, just about 10 minutes or less to and from the Airport. If you are on budget, them Melili Hotel will be good for you, also very close to the airport. You could even do a short safari in Nairobi National Park, visit Girrafe Center or just explore the city and the markets.

Nyikuri I

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
23 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: 16h layover-visit Nairob or spend time at airport (Jomo Ken)

Thanks! What I meant by "it'll be dark" is that if plane arrives 2PM, then after getting visa, baggage, taxi to hotel, hotel check-in etc - I'm ready to leave hotel optimistically 5PM so it would be only few hours before it's dark. Are those 1...2 hours worth the cost of visa, taxi, hotel etc?

Also - next flight is different airline. At the moment I have flight to Nairobi but I'm planning to buy ticket from Nairobi to Malawi.

Nairobi, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Nairobi, Kenya
Level Contributor
5,476 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 16h layover-visit Nairob or spend time at airport (Jomo Ken)

<< You could even do a short safari in Nairobi National Park, >>

Park is open from 6AM-6PM

The OP is landing at 2.00 PM

Not a good idea !!

Edited: 8:41 am, September 18, 2017
Nairobi, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Kenya
Level Contributor
3,356 posts
215 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 16h layover-visit Nairob or spend time at airport (Jomo Ken)

It is possible to transit, but the lounges charge US$40 per 4 hours. There are no sleep areas as such, just chairs, and showers (Turkish Airlines Lounge). It does get busy from 7-11 pm.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
1 post
112 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 16h layover-visit Nairob or spend time at airport (Jomo Ken)

I have just stayed overnight in the Turkish Airways lounge because I flew in late and had a flight early the next morning. You do not have to be flying on Turkish Airways to stay there. Up to 12 hours costs $60. It was busy and quite crowed until about 10 PM when most people left for flights. There is a quiet zone room with comfortable chairs. Most people pulled 2 together to sleep, not quite a bed, but not bad! Plenty of food and drink, and helpful friendly staff. The lounge is right at the end of the airport, beyond gate 3.

Reply to: 16h layover-visit Nairob or spend time at airport (Jomo Ken)
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted