We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How safe is Nairobi?

Nykoping, Sweden
Level Contributor
17 posts
1 review
Save Topic
How safe is Nairobi?

Am traveling to Nairobi next week with my two teenage children. I am organizing ativities and hotels from home without going through a tour operator in order to save on costs. I have now read and heard that Nairobi is extremely unsafe for tourists, and that taking local busses etc is absolutely not recommended. That one should definately not venture out with cameras or any type of valuables whatsoever. Is it really that dangerous?

I just returned from a trip to Rwanda where I traveled on my own with the locals. It was wonderful and I saved quite a bit of money.

Mentioned in this post
38 replies to this topic
Grou, The...
2 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: How safe is Nairobi?

Do not worry too much, i feel Nairobi is just as safe as any African capital as long as you use common sense. If you intend to visit Koinange Street at midnight dressed like a typical tourist, chances are that you will be robbed.

However just keep a few simple things in mind :

- do not carry too much cash with you (use of mobile money known as mpesa is widely accepted)

- do not walk around like most tourists would do (hawaii-looking shorts...sunglasses......camera hanging on ur belly and the infamous moneybelt)

- do not .......i repeat .... do not walk outside after 6 pm .......even most kenyans wont do so

as far as the local transportation is concerned.....they are safe, just make sure no valuables are visible and do not sit near an open window

Enjoy!

Safari njema

Mentioned in this post
Level Contributor
1,522 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: How safe is Nairobi?

No sunglasses!?

May be taking the precautions too far.

As for the advice on colorful shorts, if the idea is to encourage foreigners to blend in more, it better be said that your light skin is an instant giveaway that you're not local. So your choice of fashion style isn't going to make much difference.

Better bring those sunglasses.

Salford, United...
Level Contributor
3,239 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How safe is Nairobi?

Yes, an overcautious approach, I think and of course Philip has a very valid point.

Who told you that Nairobi was extremely unsafe for tourists? The main thing to bear in mind is to be aware of what is going on around you, don't obviously carry lots of valuables, keep to busy streets (city centre is fine to walk around during the day) and avoid giving money to street children.

Kenyans don't get off the streets at 6pm. It gets dark around 7pm and it isn't advisable to be walking around the streets after this time. If you go out in the evening, get a taxi to/from your venue.

As far as local transport is concerned, buses and matatu's are reasonably safe - pick pocketing does occur, so guard your possessions closely. Getting around can be a bit complicated, as you need to know the routes. Don't use motorbike taxis (boda boda) - there is a very high accident/injury rate.

Many visitors opt for hiring a taxi for a day and using it to visit places such as the Giraffe Centre and David Sheldrick's, which are a little distance out of the city.

If you are not booking through a tour operator, check out hotel reviews before booking, as well as the location of the hotel. Its better to pay a bit more and stay where other visitors have stayed.

Mentioned in this post
Giraffe Centre
Giraffe Centre
3,582 Reviews
Nairobi, Kenya
Nairobi, Kenya
Level Contributor
2,326 posts
324 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How safe is Nairobi?

I've now lived in Nairobi for over 4 years and feel safer here than I do in my native Chicago. I wouldn't recommend using local transport since you'll only be here for a few days. You can use uber or little which is a new company competing with uber. I also would't advise walking around after 7 at night. Please don't worry because robberies of tourists in Kenya are actually quite rare. It's safe to say that the only foreign tourists who have problems with Kenyans are those that do silly things which they wouldn't do in their own home country if they had any common sense.

Mentioned in this post
Kenya
Kenya
Africa
Nykoping, Sweden
Level Contributor
17 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: How safe is Nairobi?

Thank-you both

https:/…

https:/…Kileleshwa

for your advice. We're getting ready to leave and will be arriving tomorrow, can't wait! Feeling better about the trip now.

Falls Church...
Level Contributor
6 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How safe is Nairobi?

Would you be willing to share any info on tours and or UBer drivers when you get back. I will be travelling there by myself and would appreciate any info I can get before I get there

Salford, United...
Level Contributor
3,239 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: How safe is Nairobi?

Uber is usually cheaper than other taxi companies, but charge for waiting. You can also consider hiring a taxi for a day, to take you around the places which you wish to visit. The driver will wait as part of the price.

Regarding tours; where do you want to go? What would you like to see?

Nairobi, Kenya
Level Contributor
2,326 posts
324 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: How safe is Nairobi?

I agree don't take uber if your'e going to spend a long time waiting.You should visit the giraffe center,Daphne Sheldrick elephant orphanage, and Nairobi National Park while your'e in Nairobi.

Mentioned in this post
Nairobi National Park
Nairobi National Park
2,673 Reviews
Nairobi, Kenya
Nykoping, Sweden
Level Contributor
17 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: How safe is Nairobi?

I'll let you know when we get back. So far so good thought. Hired a car today, SwedKen. They were really good.

Nairobi, Kenya
Level Contributor
2,326 posts
324 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: How safe is Nairobi?

I'm sure that you'll have the best trip of your lifetime. I'm warning you that safaris are just addictive;you'll want to return to Africa at the first opportunity.

Reply to: How safe is Nairobi?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted