We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

DolphinDhow vs Pila Pipa Dolphin trip

Llandeilo, United...
Level Contributor
245 posts
62 reviews
Save Topic
DolphinDhow vs Pila Pipa Dolphin trip

Both sites state environ friendly etc... and seem to offer a special experience, whether or not you are lucky enough to see dolphins (normally I'm not lucky!).

i have read all the reviews on Pila Pipa but wonder if anyone has experiences or knowledge of both companies? We intend to book before travelling.

many thanks, HB

plymouth england
Destination Expert
for Kenya
Level Contributor
5,880 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: DolphinDhow vs Pila Pipa Dolphin trip

hi,

The Dolphin Dhow was a bit too contrived for me, but the

Pilli Pipa whoooooooo,

Yes........yes yes .....( let me have a moment of madness)

The whole day is a fantastic experience , the food is great and the

people are lovely.

this is the site www.pillipipa.com

Sagalout will give you an update for this year .if she isnt too hung over this morning,

ed

Llandeilo, United...
Level Contributor
245 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: DolphinDhow vs Pila Pipa Dolphin trip

Thanks Ed, have their website will book with Pila Pipa!

HB

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
1,099 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: DolphinDhow vs Pila Pipa Dolphin trip

Ed you cheeky thing! Stone cold sober today but there's still time.....!

I thought Pili Pipa were great although our trip focussed on snorkelling rather than dolphin spotting (we didn't see any). We had a fantastic day out and I'd recommentd Pili to anyone - their presciption masks are brilliant for a short sighted old four eyes like you......oops, I mean like ME!

Crew looked after hubby who is total rubbish at swimming (took out mega insurance before we left, just in case), and me who loathes the sea......where the heck is the bottom, no markings for the deep end! All in all, a brilliant experience (me being sick was environmentally friendly - fish food.)

Hellsbells you will enjoy it.

Boston...
Level Contributor
51 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: DolphinDhow vs Pila Pipa Dolphin trip

One more place you might want to look at is

http://www.kizingo.com/activities.htm#dolphin

Not sure what time of year you are planning to travel but the above folks recommend Nov - April as best times for water clarity and calm seas to see dolphins. Also Nov is a good time to have the chance of seeing whale sharks along the Kenya coast.

Good luck, would love to hear about your experience with Pili on your return.

Llandeilo, United...
Level Contributor
245 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: DolphinDhow vs Pila Pipa Dolphin trip

THANK YOU ALL SO MUCH!!

I am starting to get excited; Nov 24th is D day! Will remember to take low resolution pics this time so that I can post them with my reviews!!

HB

Cleveland, UK
Level Contributor
50 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: DolphinDhow vs Pila Pipa Dolphin trip

Yes, im a fan of Pilli Pippa too. Wonderful staff- I was looked after soo well when I was throwing up over the side -hehe

No it was wonderful and we say humpback whales-what an experience

London
Level Contributor
396 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: DolphinDhow vs Pila Pipa Dolphin trip

Hi There

I have not been on pilli pipi but went with dolphin dhow on 25th sept . had a fantastic day...the highlight of which was actaually swimming with the wild dolphins.

the staff were fantastic, the snorkelling on the reef was awesome, the diver/guide was with us the whole time, pointing out and naming the fish we saw, even the poorest of swimmers felt safe.

the meal was good, served on the boat (where i believe pilli pipa use there own restaurant on wasini island.

the trip ended with a tour of the shimoni caves.

i would go with dolphin dhow again with no concerns

manchester
10 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: DolphinDhow vs Pila Pipa Dolphin trip

Hi yes pila pipa is a good day out we had a great time we were lucky enough to see the dolphins and the whales quite close not miles away with zoom lenses. Getting on and of the boat is a bit of a task and not for the faint hearted.I suffer will a bad neck and found it quite difficult being dragged up on to the boat. Firstly you are taken in a small boat to the boat as the waves are crashing into the side of the boats you have to stand up and hoist yourself onto the bigger boat as I do not have a pair of water wings I found this quite unsafe and un nerving to say the least. Apart from this the day trip was really enjoyable altough a little costly as all trips seem to be out in Kenya. The food and service was fantastic However a tip is expected at the end of the day. We arrived back to the hotel in one piece but very tired.

East Yorkshire
Level Contributor
136 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: DolphinDhow vs Pila Pipa Dolphin trip

we went on pili pipa, saw dolphins as soon as we'd left port - swimming alongside the boat and under the bow for about 15 mins. then when we were doing our second snorkel (near the beach/island on the reef) more came along next to us but didn't hang around cos the sea was full of snorkellers. the whole day was brilliant - great staff on the boat, with drinks and snacks included, then a lovely seafood lunch after and chance to relax. i'd really recommend it, despite the lengthy transfer from the north coast (voyager) and hair-raising ride back through mombasa at rush hour!

Llandeilo, United...
Level Contributor
245 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: DolphinDhow vs Pila Pipa Dolphin trip

Thank you all for your replies - greatly appreciated !!

Exams over with today (3rd year LLB) NOW I CAN REALLY START TO GET EXCITED ABOUT NOVEMBER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! IN KENYA.

HB

PS Back to work tomorrow :(