We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tourist Killed by elephant at Masai Mara!!!!!!

UK
Level Contributor
247 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Tourist Killed by elephant at Masai Mara!!!!!!

Just read this article in one of todays newspapers!!!!!

Killer stampede ... elephant on Masai Mara

FULL NEWS INDEX ››

Honeymoon Brit killed on safari

By KATHRYN LISTER

October 03, 2006

A GROOM was trampled to death by a stampeding elephant in front of his bride on their safari honeymoon.

Patrick Smith, 34, died instantly as the panicking seven-ton beast crushed him at Kenya’s famous Masai Mara game reserve.

Horrified Julie, 35, managed to leap clear. Their Maasi guide was also mown down but survived.

The couple, from Purley, Surrey, wed in London last week and had been planning to start a family.

Last night experts called it a “terrible, tragic accident”.

Jake Grieves-Cook of Kenya’s tourist board said: “The Smiths didn’t do anything wrong. They were downwind, with a very experienced guide and thought they were safe.

“A herd of elephants were startled by something and charged. Elephants have very poor eyesight so this was not an attack. They just happened to be in the path of a spooked elephant.

“Mr Smith was crushed as it trampled over him and kept on running. The guide was knocked over but escaped with no injuries.”

UK
Level Contributor
247 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tourist Killed by elephant at Masai Mara!!!!!!

He added: “You can imagine how Mrs Smith is taking it. She was on honeymoon and then suddenly there was this devastating experience.

“She’s very shocked. They were enjoying a dream safari.” The couple, both IT workers for media firm Reuters, were 300 yards from Richard’s Camp Lodge at Olchororua on Sunday when tragedy struck.

Kenya’s flying doctor service airlifted Patrick’s body to the capital Nairobi. Training officer Julie was expected to fly home last night.

Her father Patrick Heslop said in Gorran Haven, Cornwall: “This has devastated the family.”

Six-foot Patrick is the third Brit to be killed by an elephant on African safaris in six years. The beasts can run at 25mph.

A neighbour of the Smiths said he was a keen gardener and wine buff who worked hard to renovate the couple’s £380,000 1930s semi.

He added: “Patrick was a really nice guy. They were planning to have kids. It’s a terrible shock.”

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
1,113 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tourist Killed by elephant at Masai Mara!!!!!!

That is so sad. It's easy to completely forget you are in the territory of wild animals, particularly as they look so fantastic and you are having the time of your life.

At the end of the day I'm a firm believer in fate, when your number is up, it's up - one way or another. This will undoubtedly 'put people off' which is a shame as it was clearly an accident, doesn't sound like the elephant trampled him deliberately but the poor man was in the way when it tried to run from something else.

Very sad - his poor family.

plymouth england
Destination Expert
for Kenya
Level Contributor
5,880 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tourist Killed by elephant at Masai Mara!!!!!!

Good Morning,

A very sad and shocking start to the day to wake up to hear this news...

Unfortunatly, unless you have been in the mara its very difficult to try to imagine how this can happen but it has and It can , please dont let this stop you visiting or cancelling your holiday ,

But you must be aware it is not a zoo........

I think I speak for the many hundreds of T/A members when we offer our sincere condolences to Mr Smiths Widow and of course his family and friends.

regards ed

London, England
Level Contributor
3,042 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tourist Killed by elephant at Masai Mara!!!!!!

awful........tragic

Oxfordshire, United...
Level Contributor
210 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tourist Killed by elephant at Masai Mara!!!!!!

I too was horrified to hear this. My thoughts go out to them as I can imagine how excited they would have been to be going to Kenya on honeymoon.

Am I being naive to have assumed that, as long as you remain in your vehicle, you are normally safe from such accidents or are elephants that short sighted?! I wondered if this poor couple may have been on a bush walk rather than in a vehicle.

I'm trying not to let it put me off as I do understand that it was just an accident but I have my wedding booked over there next year and I'm a bit of a nervous traveller anyway!

Bungoma, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Kenya
Level Contributor
2,798 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tourist Killed by elephant at Masai Mara!!!!!!

I read about this in The Daily Nation before I saw it on TA. I'd also like to pass my condolances to the family, please. This is a very rare thing to happen. One thing said in the newspaper was that the elephants had calves - this is the time when visitors need to be especially careful.

Carmel, California
Level Contributor
4,159 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Tourist Killed by elephant at Masai Mara!!!!!!

willow,

The couple was indeed on foot. Here's another article about this tragic accident: …yahoo.com/s/…kenya_elephants_1

kenya
Level Contributor
90 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Tourist Killed by elephant at Masai Mara!!!!!!

hi all,

i think its a shame, but i have always thought that bush walks should have never been allowed in the first place.

You are not supposed to walk around in the park as there are all kinds of animals out there and they are called "wild animals" because they are in the wild and we should not try and interfere with their lives.

I wish to convey my condolences to the family and hope that the bride somehow managed to pick up the pieces after this dreadful tragedy.

Bungoma, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Kenya
Level Contributor
2,798 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Tourist Killed by elephant at Masai Mara!!!!!!

Very sadly, in today's Daily Nation, there is a report of a Primary School child who was killed by an elephant yesterday. The elephant trampled on the child - just outside Maasai Mara Game Reserve.

London, England
Level Contributor
3,042 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Tourist Killed by elephant at Masai Mara!!!!!!

Also read in The Times today a lady killed either during a jet ski ride or hit by a jet ski ?? in Mombasa area, it didn't mention which hotel/operation......so whether human/man made machine or animal.....let's all remember fatal accidents happen....there's no exclusion just because "were" on hol's and it won't /can'thappen eh....