We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is it cheaper to buy a flight on Kenya Airways from Nairobi?

Which Kenya hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
23 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Is it cheaper to buy a flight on Kenya Airways from Nairobi?

I need to buy a return flight from Nairobi to Seychelles. I'm getting it for $635 online. And I was wondering if I should wait to buy it while I'm in Nairobi, would I find it cheaper? considering I'll be buying it the day before I need to fly..

nyc
Level Contributor
14,313 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Is it cheaper to buy a flight on Kenya Airways from Nairobi?

Not unusual for a return flight as: NBO/YYZ to be less than YYZ/NBO - often based on from the country you're booking from based on your ISP (indicates your country). That said likely lower fare NBO/SEZ if purchased in NBO, so would suggest if working with an outfitter in KEN or TNZ to have either of them to check the fare from either country (knowing the flight departs out of NBO) what the fare would be,

If you don't have an outfitter, locate an actual Travel Agent in NBO who books tickets to verify fare for youl

Possible fare will be lower or if it is too close a date to departure as you indicate considering doing so the day prior leaving which is just never the best thing to do, might be sky high.

And if arriving SEZ from KEN or TNZ, you must have Yellow Fever inoc and proof of same for entry SEZ.

Good luck!

Coquitlam, Canada
Level Contributor
60 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Is it cheaper to buy a flight on Kenya Airways from Nairobi?

I usually book flights overseas well in advance to get best price. But often local airlines don't even show up in searches, so you could get a flight cheaper locally with agent as in previous post. But if booking last minute, probably not. Domestic in Kenya is quite reasonable, but cross a border and the cost goes way up, even if flight time is less.

Nairobi, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Kenya
Level Contributor
2,788 posts
189 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is it cheaper to buy a flight on Kenya Airways from Nairobi?

Why don't you have a look at the Kenya Airways website - www.kenya-airways.com and enter your location as Kenya. See what fares you get on there.

Nairobi to Seychelles is a busy route, and closer to the date, fares can be quite high, and availability could be an issue. See what the KQ website gives you as a fare.

Mtwapa, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Newcastle upon Tyne, Bamburi, Mtwapa
Level Contributor
14,961 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is it cheaper to buy a flight on Kenya Airways from Nairobi?

I've just looked on the KQ Kenya website (and with a Kenyan url), for the cheapest fare next week and returning the week after, the cheapest was $634, ($312 out, $322 back) but that price was not available every day, some days were sold out and others were more expensive the price of the out leg varied from $312 to $552, and the return leg was $322 but it was sold out on three days.

I also looked at the price for tomorrow but the flight was sold out, the first available flight was the day after and looking at returns starting a week later, three days were sold out, two were available at $322. one at $422 and one at $462

I'd book it in advance while the flights are available and at the lower price

5. Re: Is it cheaper to buy a flight on Kenya Airways from Nairobi?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 8:15 am, July 26, 2014
Mtwapa, Kenya
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
14,961 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is it cheaper to buy a flight on Kenya Airways from Nairobi?

That is why I made a point of saying that I was using a Kenyan ip address in my post above, Nic

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,448 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Is it cheaper to buy a flight on Kenya Airways from Nairobi?

"Why don't you have a look at the Kenya Airways website - www.kenya-airways.com and enter your location as Kenya. See what fares you get on there".

roadwarriorafrica it isn't as simple as that, your I.P address is read as soon as you link up to the website so your destination is known (although there are ways around this).

Below, flight prices on the Kenya Airways website accessed from a U.K and China I.P address just minutes apart.

Notice variations in prices---------->>

…jetscreenshot.com/11869/20121014-utzy-120kb…

…jetscreenshot.com/11869/20121014-kvm1-122kb…

Edited: 8:19 am, July 26, 2014
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
23 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Is it cheaper to buy a flight on Kenya Airways from Nairobi?

Interesting.. How can I use the site with a Kenyan IP address?

Mtwapa, Kenya
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
14,961 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Is it cheaper to buy a flight on Kenya Airways from Nairobi?

It's relatively easy to access a US, UK, etc URL but not so easy to acceess a Kenyan one unless you are here. But you don't need to, I've done it for you. As in my post the cheapest flight is the same price that you can get, but flights fill up and get more expensive then fill up completely, so you have nothing to gain and everything to lose by waiting

Bengaluru, India
Level Contributor
1,461 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Is it cheaper to buy a flight on Kenya Airways from Nairobi?

I find skyscanner.net quite useful to compare prices.