We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How safe of living in Nairobi today????

Bangkok, Thailand
2 posts
Save Topic
How safe of living in Nairobi today????

Hi all,

I am from Thailand, and mid of June me and my partner are moving to Nairobi as he get a job there.

I have not been to Nairobi before, I only seen that I was an attached at the Westgate mall and many people die.

I really would like to get more information from anyone that living or working there. It will be great as if you can give me some idea of living there.

How safe daylight and night time? Thank you very much if you can give me some idea

Mentioned in this post
Newcastle upon...
Level Contributor
1,441 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How safe of living in Nairobi today????

Hi,

I am British and live in Nairobi. Crime is high here but that does not mean you will necessarily experience it. I have never been a victim of crime myself but know many that have be it pick pocketed, bag snatched, robbed with a weapon etc.

You will find daytime is pretty much safe anywhere, of coarse there is still daytime crime though.

At night time you really have to take precautions. Go from door to door by car if you can and know what areas you can go to and which are not really worth the risk.

Nairobi can be a great place to live but just take care as you do it.

I would love to make comparisons with Bangkok but have never been there to give you that possible comparison.

Edited: 12:43 pm, May 20, 2014
Mentioned in this post
Bangkok
Bangkok
Thailand
nyc
Level Contributor
15,090 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: How safe of living in Nairobi today????

Have been to BKK (loved it) and though staying at a 5* hotel were advised that if leaving the hotel at night to ALWAYS go by taxi. During daytime hours it was relatively safe but with so many young guys on motor bikes it's not unusual for backpacks, cross-body or shoulder bags to be pulled off of tourists, having seen this happen twice while there. Shoot, this can happen elsewhere around the world (think Italy).

So as a visitor anywhere, you learn quickly the safe neighborhoods in which to live, always know where you're going before starting out during daylight (what bus/train routes, even by foot, general surroundings, etc), never open a map (or check Smartphone) out in public rather walk into a shop to get your bearings, avoid crowds/protests and oveall 'be aware.'

Nairobi, Kenya
Level Contributor
2,297 posts
300 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How safe of living in Nairobi today????

I have to emphasize that I never walk at night. I always take a taxi, and in this way I can insure my safety. I would also recommend that you call taxi drivers that you know, and get their phone numbers as often as possible. Please don't worry.

Bangkok, Thailand
2 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: How safe of living in Nairobi today????

Hi Many thanks for taking the time response. It is really helpful! Now i can see more picture of Nairobi, i have seen some nice places of Nairobi and looking forward to be there.

However i will have to be careful either daytime or nighttime for sure.

Thanks again.

Mentioned in this post
Bangkok, Thailand
2 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: How safe of living in Nairobi today????

Hi Many thanks, yes it would be better to take a taxi at night almost the time.

Do you know any nice places for a nice evening? Thanks lot

Nairobi, Kenya
Level Contributor
2,297 posts
300 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How safe of living in Nairobi today????

Please be more specific: which kind of place are you looking for to spend a nice evening? I'm sure that I can help you.

Bangkok, Thailand
2 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: How safe of living in Nairobi today????

Hi, I mean like Nairobi center. Where is the most popular place that foreigner go.

Sorry I only heard that around Westland area is also a good place to live, dinner, shopping right etc.

Thanks for your help.

Tess

Mentioned in this post
8. Re: How safe of living in Nairobi today????

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:16 am, May 23, 2015