We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Anys tips for taking photos in Kenya?

Hong Kong, China
7 posts
Save Topic
Anys tips for taking photos in Kenya?

I am going to Kenya in mid Sept hoping to see the Great Migration. I have bought the Canon SX 50 camera given its long lens. I read in another post that I should bring a bean bag and a blower to remove dust from the lens. Any other tips and suggestions?

BTW, I am not an expert in photography.

Appreciate your advice! =)

Nairobi, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Kenya
Level Contributor
3,019 posts
201 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Anys tips for taking photos in Kenya?

Be patient, and carry lots of memory cards with you.

Bean bag helps, as does a steady hand. Remember off road driving is not allowed, so do not pressure your guide to get closer to the animals, as the fines can be high for your guide.

Enjoy.

Devon uk
Level Contributor
117 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Anys tips for taking photos in Kenya?

Yes I agree lots of memory, but take it on several cards, just in case something happens to one. We usually take 4x8G cards (but we do take 2 camaras) and try to swap the cards during the day, especially if you are lucky enough to see something like a lion kill, that way if a card becomes lost or corrupt you still have images of the whole of your trip. You won't believe how quickly you will use up the batteries so take at least 1 extra battery and make sure you don't forget to take the charger for them so you can charge them up over night. Remember many lodges and camps have generators for power so check when they will be running so you can charge everything up. Just keep snapping away, you can edit when you get home, we can take up to 2000 photographs between us and will end up with perhaps 12 keep for ever shots - yes we are armatures and do things like forget to remove our fingers from the lens in the excitement. Having said all that, please take the time to put the camera down and just look, listen, smell, enjoy, it is such a pity when you have seen the whole of our holiday through the lens of

the camera. Have a great time.

keniata
Level Contributor
135 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Anys tips for taking photos in Kenya?

Hi,

A bean bag will be important especially if you are carrying a large Lens. Also try to get a smaller wide lens for the landscapes and up close shots. Dust is inevitable during an African safari..so a hand blower would be ideal for your safari. Try taking smaller capacity memory cards rather than a 32gb for example. This gives you more security should you lose a card.

Karibu Kenya

Michigan
Level Contributor
1,339 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Anys tips for taking photos in Kenya?

The Canon SX 50 is supposed to be a great camera. Since it is fairly new, I'm hoping you will have the opportunity to practice with it a lot before you go on your trip. If you haven't, a trip to a local zoo would give you the best opportunity to test it.

The suggestions of at least 1 extra battery and plenty of memory cards is great. I can't tell you how many memory cards I take, but on the average safari, I've taken over 6000 images (and yes, a lot are discarded).

A bean bag is a great item to help you steady the camera. Some safari vehicles provide them, some don't. If you don't have your own, ask your TO if they can provide one. Your camera is not real heavy, so if they don't provide it, you should be able to stablize it by resting your elbows on the vehicle (and make sure they have turned off the vehicle engine when taking photos as digital is very sensitive to camera shake).

I always carry a couple of heavy duty zip locks and an old dish towel. When in between locations, the cameras are inside the bags or towel to keep the dust off. I also carry a few Pec Pads (lint free lens wipes) and Eclipse solution for cleaning the lenses. At the end of the day before going to sleep, I always make sure the cameras are cleaned for the next day (and the batteries charged).

One thing I would mention is that although you will typically see persons standing in the vehicle and shooting photos out the top of the vehicle, try taking photos while seated and just out your open window. The perspective of the animal against the background, is much more realistic than shooting down all the time.

Your camera also has the ability to take video. I carried a small camera with me last trip just for the purpose of taking video. After I've gotten the still shots I wanted, I've taken short videos. It's really fun to watch them when you are home.

Laurena

Torrington...
Level Contributor
39 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Anys tips for taking photos in Kenya?

I bought the same camera for my safari coming up in Oct. and need lost of practice! Can I ask you if you found a good camera bag that fits a couple extras in it but isn't too bulky?

Torrington...
Level Contributor
39 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Anys tips for taking photos in Kenya?

*lots of practice*

Michigan
Level Contributor
1,339 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Anys tips for taking photos in Kenya?

I can't specifically speak for a camera bag that fits the Canon SX50, but what you might want to consider is a bag that is more like a small backpack that you can fit not only your camera in, but the extra battery, memory cards and whatever you might need for the day while out on safari - some wet wipes, tissues, maybe a snack, bottle of water, your passport and some cash. That way you can keep everything together in one place and when you leave the vehicle, you won't be looking for several items.

8. Re: Anys tips for taking photos in Kenya?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, August 25, 2014