We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Please help! Am I spending enough for a good safari?

Dearborn, Michigan
Level Contributor
1,354 posts
151 reviews
Save Topic
Please help! Am I spending enough for a good safari?

I thought I had a good itinerary with Shadrack at Glorious, but now I'm having second thoughts. I know this question is totally subjective, but I really need some opinions. Is 7400 usd for 15 nights sufficient for a good safari including the single sup? Would I have a better experience spending less days on safari but better lodges? Right now I'm doing 2 nights Tsavo east, 2 nights Tsavo west, 3 nights Amboseli, 3 at Samburu, 3 at Maasai Mara... With a night in Nairobi before and after. Some will be private over the road, some lodges fly in. Do you think this sounds too tiring? I could cut out Sumburu or tsavo, and upgrade my lodgings by a hundred dollars a day. Would that improve my experience? Some question arose over the Ashnil Mara, which was proposed, so now I'm rethinking the whole trip. I can't afford luxury camps, and really don't care for that experience, but I do want comfortable , clean accommodations, good meals, ( I'm not a drinker so spirits are of no concern), and good drives. Please help me! Give me YOUR opinion!

Natural World Kenya Safaris
Nature & Wildlife Tours, Safaris
Roberto Toba Safari Kenya - Day Tours
Boat Tours, Scuba & Snorkeling, 4WD, ATV & Off-Road Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours, Safaris
Dearborn, Michigan
Level Contributor
1,354 posts
151 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Please help! Am I spending enough for a good safari?

Thanks so much everyone! It seems that some off the suggested lodges are out of my price range, when looking at the lodge website. Just wondering about game watchers... Are they very helpful? Will they suggest an itinerary, or must I give them exact requirements... Lodges... Length of stay at each one.., ect.. Are there other TO that book Porini lodges? Also, offbeat.., can anyone tell me a TO that represents them? I assume June is off season because you miss the migration. Is that a poor choice? Please keep the responses coming. I appreciate all the advise so much. It's unfortunate travel agents are not as well versed as the TA experts.

Dearborn, Michigan
Level Contributor
1,354 posts
151 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Please help! Am I spending enough for a good safari?

Okay, I more question... I am 60 years old... Would Porini or Offbeat be more age appropriate? Offbeat looks really nice, but is it for a younger clientele?

nyc
Level Contributor
15,011 posts
Save Reply
13. Re: Please help! Am I spending enough for a good safari?

Any good outfitter should be able to book just about any lodge/camp including Porini and/or Offbeat.

Gamewatchers owns the Porini Camps, so these being offered are a given and they are a full-service tour operator (based out of the UK mostly),k but if you wish other camps/lodges.. just ask.

As to prices found on websites, these are most often the 'rack' (highest) rates vs the contract (lower) rates that outfitters negotiate with the various lodges/camps that are passed onto the client. And when checking rates on web sites, you have to read carefully to be sure items as: game drives, park fees, taxes - are included. Working with an outfitter these should all be included along with on arrival the meet/greet and transfer for 1st nt, the safari nights wherever, and a dayroom (if needed) last day especially if you have a late departure for home.

Age - don't give it another thought. Most travelers are from 50-up, many in their 70s/80s... those with the time/money. And as summer breaks usually don't start till July when most schools close worldwide, little concern about children. Besides, there's no guarantee from day-to-day or week-to-week, what the make-up of guests will be. Can be singles/friends together, married couples all ages, solo male/female various ages and yes, occasionally families with children of various ages - often a mix of all.

canada
Level Contributor
37 posts
1 review
Save Reply
14. Re: Please help! Am I spending enough for a good safari?

Hi there,

Just used Gamewatchers for a Tanzania safari last month.

Although I can't comment on Porini Camps, I can tell you that Gamewatchers was terrific.

I dealt with Caro. She did an amazing job at planning everything from transfers, flights, camps to even a trip to trek Chimps. I would not hesitate to use them to plan my next Kenya trip, which I hope will be soon.

Dearborn, Michigan
Level Contributor
1,354 posts
151 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Please help! Am I spending enough for a good safari?

I have contacted Gamewatchers, go2africa, and Sun Safaris. I will also contact glorious. Hopefully I will put this all to rest soon!

Dearborn, Michigan
Level Contributor
1,354 posts
151 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Please help! Am I spending enough for a good safari?

I'm so glad I was steered to the smaller camps. Thanks so much for the suggestion. I had to cut my days down from 13 to 10, and decided on sept where hopefully I can see the migration. I'm having a difficult time choosing an itinerary because ALL the suggested camps look wonderful. I've gotten several options, combining different camps, all within my price range, though I'm considering staying at all Porini camps. If anyone has any favorites, please, please! let me know. I've also been reading about the wild dogs of Africa, and am having a difficult time determining if I might encounter them at any of the Offbeat, Porini, or Kicheche camp. Is anyone familiar with this? Thanks again.

Bobbi

london
Destination Expert
for Zambia, Selous Game Reserve, Ruaha National Park
Level Contributor
5,135 posts
Save Reply
17. Re: Please help! Am I spending enough for a good safari?

I have heard of wild dogs sightings at Kicheche Laikipia, and since the Porini Rhino camp is in the same area I assume they also see them.

Offbeat's Sosian is also a good place, although I am not sure if they still track the dogs with radio collars now that the previous managers, Steve and Annabelle Carey, have set up their own camp, Laikipia Wilderness Camp. Being a bit of a wild dog fan myself, I recently spent a whole week there, and if you want to see dogs it's the best place I've been to in Africa. I wrote a report here-

safaritalk.net/topic/…

and my photos are here-

https:/…

nyc
Level Contributor
15,011 posts
Save Reply
18. Re: Please help! Am I spending enough for a good safari?

Go2Africa and Sun Safaris are both South African based and will have to use a Kenyan outfitter for the on-ground safari here, where Gamewatchers would be the better choice if considering any of the Porini Camps especially. Gamewatchers can also book Offbeat or any other camps in Kenya.

19. Re: Please help! Am I spending enough for a good safari?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, July 08, 2014