We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sun Cream?

UK
Level Contributor
51 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Sun Cream?

Can anyone help?

When we went to Florida we were sold a special sun cream, because of the sub tropical climate. It didn't have the waxes and oils like sun cream in the UK, and therefore was better suited to more humid climates (e.g. didn't give you prickly heat).

My question is; Is this the same for Kenya?? Has anyone any advice or comments on this? Or will any suncream do the job?

TYW
Chester, Arkansas
Level Contributor
6 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sun Cream?

Depending on where in Kenya you are, this may not be necessary. Much of Kenya is pretty dry - even at the beach in my opinion. It also depends on when you are there. Most of Kenya has 2 rainy seasons - one in our summer (July, August) and one in our winter (November, December). Of course humidity will be higher at those times.

TYW

London, United...
Level Contributor
540 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sun Cream?

Hi Blue Dan

Have you tried P20? It'sa once a day formula that worked pretty well for us last year in Sri Lanka and the Maldives. You have to apply it carefully 90 mins before exposure to the sun (easy, you pop it on after a shower and then go for breakfast!) The great thing, is it sinks in, doesn't leave an oily residue and protects all day. No rickly heat.

I have to be very careful in the sun, and although I started with a higher factor, P20 was excellent after about 5 days and that was in temps higher than I'm expecting in Kenya in July.

I hope that helps

Lex :-)

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
1,087 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sun Cream?

ProSport was recommended on here, yaughtsmen/women use it apparently. Waterproof and lasts 8 hours.

Bought factor 35 for DiL who burns badly at the first sign of sun, it worked a treat for the days she used it before her wedding in St Lucia, other brides were borrowing it from her. Protected her completely on an all day boat trip...........pity I didn't bother to use it myself, ended up looking like a piece of raw beefsteak. Painful!!!**!

Have bought the factor 15 for my holiday this year and it has quite a nice 'dry' feel when it's on - not sticky. I would definitely recommend it.

Essex
Level Contributor
106 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sun Cream?

Hi Blue Dan,

I personally think that Avon sensitive is great for those who suffers with Prickly Heat.

I had a bad case of heat bumps last year in Samos in Greece.

For anyone that does suffer from heat bumps or just to be on the safe side take Piriton antihistamine tablets with you.

Donna

Scotland
5 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Sun Cream?

I found that P20 (mentioned above) gave me prickly heat while in Florida.

I have this reaction whenever I use an oil based product, and P20 did the same thing.

6. Re: Sun Cream?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:17 pm, August 15, 2009