We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Thomson Departure Tax

Cheshire,England
Level Contributor
114 posts
51 reviews
Save Topic
Thomson Departure Tax

It's been a while since we travelled with Thomson and had to pay the dreaded departure tax ourselves. I know it is $40 but does anyone know what they will accept in pounds sterling?

Thanks

Mtwapa, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Newcastle upon Tyne, Bamburi, Mtwapa
Level Contributor
15,273 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Thomson Departure Tax

I've never paid but understand from people who have that it can vary with the exchange rate, $40 was around £25 for quite a while but the £ has slipped recently so it should be around £26 or £27 (don't know if they accept coins or will round up or down to £30 or £25) you can also pay in shillings should be around 3,400 shillings.

Level Contributor
7 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Thomson Departure Tax

Hello, I read somewhere that you are best to pay in US dollars, as for some reason if you pay in pounds then they are asking for £60?? If I can find the source I'll update this as I haven't been myself personally

Ilford, United...
Level Contributor
400 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Thomson Departure Tax

Does this help??

thomson.co.uk/editorial/…departure-tax.html

We paid in $ last year I think

Cheshire,England
Level Contributor
114 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Thomson Departure Tax

Thanks all. Sounds like it is best to get some dollars.

Mtwapa, Kenya
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
15,273 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Thomson Departure Tax

I've never heard of anybody being charged £60, none of the people who have reported back on here have mentioned being asked for anything like that they have all said they paid the straight dollar equivalent. Have also searched the web and the above post was the only example I could find of £60, every other mention was for £25. So I would be interested to see the source if Gillian can find it.

Why bother buying dollars just for this, why not pay in shillings that you will be buying or withdrawing anyway?

Cheshire,England
Level Contributor
114 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Thomson Departure Tax

Yes that sounds the best idea! It's just at the end of the holiday I always hang onto as many shillings as I can as proof to myself I will be coming back!!

Nairobi, Kenya
Level Contributor
193 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Thomson Departure Tax

To avoid being reaped off just pay in dollars as they require, otherwise you will be given inflated exchange rates.

Mtwapa, Kenya
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
15,273 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Thomson Departure Tax

Travelhtt,

that is not what TA members have reported back on this forum, the vast majority of Thomson's UK package tour customers are unlikely to have any dollars, they are most likely to have Pounds, some may not even have any shillings

Edited: 3:29 am, April 24, 2013
edinburgh
Level Contributor
1,545 posts
254 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Thomson Departure Tax

We normally pay in sterling or KHS and are even given change back if we do not have the correct amount.

Since the tax came in we have never used dollars and in fact never take dollars out with us.

Normallly English £ and around £200 in khs to keep us going when we arrive for tips etc until we get to a bank or forex.

Level Contributor
7 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Thomson Departure Tax

Sorry if I'm wrong about it being £60, I've found where I got it, I read it on someone's review of the Amani Tiwi Beach Resort. It was posted on the 4th April this year so obviously just took it as being someone's experience.