We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Donating Pens and Pencils

Springfield...
Level Contributor
329 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Donating Pens and Pencils

I visited Kenya last year and brought pens, pencils and paper with me to give to the Maasai. However when we stopped at a roadside souvenir shop on our way back to Nairobi, I was touched by the clerk who, when negotiating the price of an item, included my pen. He used it as a bargaining chip to arise at a mutually agreed upon price. I wish I now knew the names of the shop and the clerk so I could send more supplies. Does anyone know of an organization for which I could send donated pens and pencils?

Thank you for your help...

manchester, United...
Level Contributor
1,196 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Donating Pens and Pencils

Anything you send to Kenya will be subject to duty. This can be 80% of the value of the goods in Kenya. If you send pens and pencils you will also need to send money to pay the duty. Pens and pencils are available in Kenya. Much better to support local trade and send money, so that they can be bought in-country.

Victor, Montana
Level Contributor
23 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Donating Pens and Pencils

I agree about buy locally. We normally travel more independently but this time we are on a safari. We do have many pen, pencils and notebooks we were hoping to leave/give away while on the safari. Should we bring those items or simply forget about it this time. By request, will we have time to visit local schools and see/meet school kids. Thanks.

3. Re: Donating Pens and Pencils

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, January 15, 2014