We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Volunteering in Nairobi and Malindi, advice needed...

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
233 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Volunteering in Nairobi and Malindi, advice needed...

Hi, just wondering if anyone has any advice for someone volunteering in Nairobi and Malindi from the middle of June to the middle of August?

I'm wondering about what to bring in a medical kit? What clothes to pack given that it's a long trip and only one bag is going to be possible? Is there anything that I could bring that would be a really nice gift, something that's not expensive but hard to buy in Kenya? Any thought's on personal safety? ANY advice or information appreciated. Of course there's a lot of information available from the organisations but you can't beat the wisdom of as many locals or reguar visitors as possible!

Thank you very much in advance.

Nairobi
Level Contributor
77 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Volunteering in Nairobi and Malindi, advice needed...

hi

i am living near the kenyatta hospital and near kibera slums. the best gift you can bring is drugs for hiv/aids for the children and people suffering from the disease. these drugs are very expensive. the clothes you can take them to a home like mama ngina childrens home. infact the kenyatta hospital will also advice you on what to or where to take the clothes.

this is the best gift the hiv/aids antiritroviral drugs. if you cannot carry any , you can just be there to help with cooking, reading books etc

Gloria

bukachi@yahoo.com

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
233 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Volunteering in Nairobi and Malindi, advice needed...

Thanks for that African Lady, it won't be possible to bring HIV drugs, but would generic drugs like painkillers be any use? are they expensive in Kenya? The organisations do work with children with HIV. Thanks for your reply.

Bungoma, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Kenya
Level Contributor
2,798 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Volunteering in Nairobi and Malindi, advice needed...

If the organisations you work with get drugs from MEDS, then the best thing you can bring is money.

I am British, but live in rural Western Kenya and find Kenya prices for basic drugs very reasonable. They are often cheaper than in England. MEDS assures quality.

For yourself, don't waste your precious luggage weight on soap, toothpaste, toilet paper, flip flops, mosquito net etc. All are easy to buy and cheaper than in UK - I don't know about Ireland!

Medical kit for yourself - sting relief and a tube of antiseptic cream are all I can think of. Then stock up in Nairobi with anything else you need.

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
233 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Volunteering in Nairobi and Malindi, advice needed...

Thanks a lot Asifiwe, that's really helpful. It's pretty much a guarantee that anything in Ireland is more expensive than anywhere else in most of the world!

Nairobi
Level Contributor
77 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Volunteering in Nairobi and Malindi, advice needed...

Pain Killers are here and cheap as Asifiwe has just said. Hiv/Aids meds are expensive and sometimes our goernment are at risk of loosing donor fund to buy this to br used by the poor, abandoned orphans. Another thing you can do is just come by yourself and bring money then you see for you self what is important then buy it. When you are around you can even give money to buy just food. as you know food is medicine too and the most cheapest. you can donate them to orphanages for children. also your being there for them to read to them and just hold them, read to them is more fun. I dont know when you are coming i by then i will be able to forward to you about places need visiting.

you can call me on +254 722 758873 while in ireland or 0722 758873 when in nairobi.

Thanks and God bless you for your kind heart

Gloria Bukachi

bukachi@yahoo.com

Nairobi
Level Contributor
77 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Volunteering in Nairobi and Malindi, advice needed...

teaching jobs available. please email me for more school contacts bukachi@yahoo.com

Gloria

bukachi@yahoo.com

Birmingham, England
Level Contributor
20 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Volunteering in Nairobi and Malindi, advice needed...

Hi Uisce

I was wondering how your volunteering in Kenya worked out and whether you went to Kibera while you were in Nairobi?

I'm visiting Kenya with my son, on holiday, in about a week's time and have been considering visiting one of the community projects in Kibera, with a view to donating money but also seeing the other side of Kenya, the bit the tourists don't hear about.

I have been encouraged to visit but still have questions. I'm concerned about causing offence ('rich' whites wandering around Kibera staring at poor black people), I'm also concerned about personal safety.

If you have any advice I'd be grateful for it.

8. Re: Volunteering in Nairobi and Malindi, advice needed...

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:19 am, August 22, 2009