We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How to do a beach and safari holiday

Reading, United...
Level Contributor
43 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
How to do a beach and safari holiday

Hello,

Does anybody know how we would get around planning a safari and beach holiday in Kenya? My boyfriend and I would like to stay for a total of 10 days-14 days. Ideally we would like 3-4 nights first doing a safari and then spend a week on a beach. We would be flying from London. Is it best to individually price it all up? Or is there specific websites that do this for you? If there are does anybody know the links and which places in Kenya would you recommend for the safari and the beach part of our holiday?

Many thanks

South West England...
Destination Expert
for Mombasa, Diani Beach, Kenya
Level Contributor
7,076 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How to do a beach and safari holiday

A starting point would be to go along to the High Street travel agents and pick up some brochures - Cosmos, Thomson, Kuoni, Hayes and Jarvis, Somak, Virgin to name a handful. That will give you an idea of hotels, safaris, and prices. Most can also be viewed online. Compare what's on offer. With the prices of scheduled airfares it will probably work out cheaper to get a package rather than book fare and hotel separately.

Once you have an idea about your safari requirements, email a few companies recommended on here and compare prices etc.

When do you want to go? If you like it dry, sunny and very hot opt for January/February. I would normally also include March but with the elections in March 2013 I would avoid that time.

Any other Qs just ask!

Nairobi, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Nairobi, Kenya
Level Contributor
4,030 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How to do a beach and safari holiday

Consider Malindi (or Watamu) beach location & safari to Tsavo NP which is 2 hrs drive from Malindi. Just perfect !!!

Turtle Bay Beach Resort in Watamu is very popular.

Good Luck.

Edited: 7:23 am, November 15, 2012
Buckhorn, Canada
Level Contributor
554 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How to do a beach and safari holiday

We did 3 days in Tsavo East and West last year with Julius Tact (JT Safaris) and then time in Galu Beach (just south of Diani Beach) at Four Twenty South. We had a fabulous time. The property and cottages and beach at Four Twenty are fabulous and the cottage comes with a cook! Fresh fish and veggies delivered to our doorstep. Staff are fabulous as well. I have reviewed both on TA. Enjoy!

Boston...
Level Contributor
819 posts
166 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How to do a beach and safari holiday

we had our tour operator in Kenya do the whole thing.. we did 2 weeks total.. a variety of parks for safari and then 3 days in Lamu.

We used Steenbok.. I just told George which properties I wanted to stay at.. he made some recommendations.. and he priced it all out for us.. and then he took care of the whole thing from start to finish

Level Contributor
15 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How to do a beach and safari holiday

Totally agree with MakeupArtist4. We've just returned from a fantastic week in Kenya and George at Steenbok Safaris organised everything for us. He was also the most reasonable. I had spent many hours looking at various options so I also had an idea of what and where we wanted to go and he put it all together for us. We stayed at Fig Tree (in a tent), Sarova Panafric in Nairobi and Sarova Lion Hill at Lake Nakuru, which were both fabulous and flew from Nairobi to Ukunda which is south near Diani Beach and stayed at Pinewood Resort which we loved - it wasn't too big and we had a very relaxing and enjoyable time there.

Cape Town Central...
9 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: How to do a beach and safari holiday

Hi

Can anyone please give me the email of George from Steenbok. Sounds like he is the one to work with.

Thank You

Boston...
Level Contributor
819 posts
166 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: How to do a beach and safari holiday

steenboksafaris@gmail.com

he is very prompt with replies

Cape Town Central...
9 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: How to do a beach and safari holiday

Appreciate all the replies.

Thank you

9. Re: How to do a beach and safari holiday

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:19 am, December 16, 2013