We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Safety on safari & in Nairobi

Rocklin, California
Level Contributor
505 posts
36 reviews
Save Topic
Safety on safari & in Nairobi

I am in the process of planning a trip for late july 2013 to Tanzania & Kenya with hopes of seeing the Migration. One of the companies I requested a quote from said they no longer offer services in Kenya due to all the murders, kidnappings, bombings, crime and political instability, saying all of these have affected tourists there.

They also said the numbers of wildebeest coming into the Mara have declined by 65%, with most staying in the northern Serengeti during the time we plan to travel.

Also, they said that I should not trust any operator offering services in Kenya!

I am wondering now if I should reconsider and plan on just going to Tanzania?

Any insight would be greatly appreciated!!

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
44 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Safety on safari & in Nairobi

I just spent a wonderful month in Kenya!!! I feel you have nothing really to worry about as long as you use your street smarts and dont do anything stupid (walking at night). I felt perfectly safe! I also did a 4 day safari in the mara it was one of the most amazing experiences of my life.... I was with a volunteer org, but i think they also provide safaris to people who r not volunteering....i will find out for you.... also if you are looking for some sort of luxury safari the people i went through wont be for you.... but i was very pleased with our accomodation (tented camps) Hot showers good food!!!!

Nairobi, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Nairobi, Kenya
Level Contributor
3,949 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Safety on safari & in Nairobi

Note, that the elections are scheduled for next year Mar'/12.

As i recall, it was quite turbulent for at least 3 mths after polling took place.

There's no telling what could happen this time round.

Other than that, Kenya is quite a peaceful country.

Edited: 11:57 pm, October 03, 2012
Mtwapa, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Newcastle upon Tyne, Bamburi, Mtwapa
Level Contributor
15,273 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Safety on safari & in Nairobi

i would find another tour agent the one you talked to obviously has no practical knowledge of Kenya or the migration.

there are 1.25 million tourists come to Kenya each year and even over a bad period like the last 18 months you could count the number of significant incidents involving them on your fingers (and might only need one hand) and most of those were off the beaten track. I'm not saying that Kenya is an idyllic crime free, peaceful land, it isn't, far from it but then so is the USA, what I am saying is that as a tourist the chances of you being involved in an incident are remote.

Mtwapa, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Newcastle upon Tyne, Bamburi, Mtwapa
Level Contributor
15,273 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Safety on safari & in Nairobi

PS, as for the migration if you are on facebook have a look at this photo on Mara Triangle's facebook page from a couple of days ago and the ones on the days either side of it and decide whether or not its still a spectacle (this is also when the migration is supposed to be over but the herds keep coming back into Kenya, leaving and coming back again)

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php…

and here's one of their photos from earlier in September, enough wildebeest?

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php…

colchester
Level Contributor
1,465 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Safety on safari & in Nairobi

I think just one or two more may suffice ;-)

nyc
Level Contributor
14,473 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Safety on safari & in Nairobi

Agree, find another tour operator. As Doff above, lots of visitors yearly with no issues. Even during the last political upheaval tourist were never targetted or harm. As with any travel, any destination - pack and use your common sense, do not leave at home just because you're on holiday. While in NBO it's fine to walk about during daylight hours, at night taxis are best. Then when out on safari, you're in heaven with all the game about.

As to the migrating herds... wildies are strange in habit. Some years they arrive early and stay late, other years arrive a bit late and may return early... it's never guaranteed. Even being in the No. Serengeti... it's much the same strange behavior. They follow the rains and grasses and while not all cross from the Northern Serengeti, half or more along with zebra and gazelles do. That said, with even a single drop of rain in Serengeti, some of the herds will return, but as soon as the wet stops... they're back in the Mara. Not much different then when they do river crossings - they cross then cross again... strange, but they're wildies. And do remember, both countries have resident herds that never migrate.

But all emphasis shouldn't be on the migration, as even what you see on NatGeo, takes those photog over 2/yrs to produce the 1/hr of TV viewing. There's much to see of various eco-systems and unique game elsewhere in Kenya that shouldn't be missed.

There is no right answer but if visiting between mid-July thru Sept, it would be the Mara for sure, also as there are more accommodation choices at all budgets, where in the No. Serengeti... the few here are rather costly.

Bize-Minervois...
Level Contributor
430 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Safety on safari & in Nairobi

Get another tour operator. They obviously dont want your busines. Go for someone reliable. Stay clear of March, April and maybe May. We missed our trip because of the last elections but those who went had no problem. Go and enjoy but go with a good tour agent

Rocklin, California
Level Contributor
505 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Safety on safari & in Nairobi

Thanks to all your encouragement I have decided to forge ahead with going to Kenya....just not with this particular operator. Besides, they were way over priced when compared to all my other quotes.

This will likely be our only trip to Africa so it seems silly to fly such a long distance and not see both countries, even if just for a short while. We survived 3 weeks in China on our own, with a guide only for the first day.....I am sure we will be fine in Kenya with a safari operator "holding our hands" for 3 days!

9. Re: Safety on safari & in Nairobi

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:02 am, October 16, 2012
10. Re: Safety on safari & in Nairobi

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:17 pm, December 14, 2013