We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Flying Doctors Evacuation Insurance- consideration?

Bath, Canada
Level Contributor
170 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Flying Doctors Evacuation Insurance- consideration?

I see that the tour operator we are using in Feb. 2013 has info under miscellaneous that, "Flying Doctors Evacuation Insurance can be purchased on arrival in E. Africa for approx 16 USD per person- ask your Tour Leader"

We do have out of country health insurance ( Canada) but should we be considering purchasing the above?

Has anyone any experience with this type of insurance?

How does it work?

Thank you in advance for sharing any details on this topic.

Ella

Nairobi, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Kenya
Level Contributor
2,972 posts
202 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Flying Doctors Evacuation Insurance- consideration?

Ask your travel insurance provider if air evacuation is covered. If not then you can buy the flying doctor one.

Nairobi, Kenya
Level Contributor
3,755 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Flying Doctors Evacuation Insurance- consideration?

I would highly recommend you purchase the AMREF/Flying Doctors cover since, without it, you may not be able to be medevacced from the bush in case of a medcal emergency. Only certain operators are permitted to medevac from the bush.

Boston...
Level Contributor
203 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Flying Doctors Evacuation Insurance- consideration?

This insurance covers air evac from the camp to Nairobi in the event of a medical emergency. 16 bucks well worth spending! Also, I believe (but am not certain) that AMREF is non-profit so these fees help to subsubsidize their general operations.

Michigan
Level Contributor
1,333 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Flying Doctors Evacuation Insurance- consideration?

I've always purchased AMREF because it does take you from the bush back to the larger hospital in Nairobi if necessary. Their planes are able to get to the smaller landing strips. The cost is minimal, considering what you pay for the safari. But better yet, if you end up not needing it, your money is going to be used to support locals in getting medical supplies where needed. Very worthwhile organization, in my opinion.

Staffordshire
Level Contributor
795 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Flying Doctors Evacuation Insurance- consideration?

I always get Amref `s cover through their own website.

nyc
Level Contributor
14,610 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Flying Doctors Evacuation Insurance- consideration?

Buy it. But it's not easy to do once in-country... beats me what the tour operator is thinking. In fact it really would be to the TOs benefit to provide as part of their package, as they'd get a discounted rate. That said...

Go to the www.amref.org site, select membership, scroll down to the proper area and purchase for the time you'll be away. The premium is quite reasonable. Covers service in Kenya, Tanzania/Zanzibar.

Can be purchased online, and they're very responsive to queries.

Should the service be required, FD will be notified to extract you from bush to NBO hospital, where your other insurance takes over (you do have to contact them) as to treatment and if needed, stablization for evacuation homebound.

I never leave home without it!

Somerset, United...
Level Contributor
45 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Flying Doctors Evacuation Insurance- consideration?

Anyhthing can happen out there in the bush and sometimes it be hours away to the nearest medical facility. You definitely need it. The tour operator we used had the cost included in the package for the four of us. Infact on checking their webiste they have the evacuation cover included in all their tours longer than 1 day. Our guide told us they are also covered. The tickets we had indicated AAR ER Safari.

Bath, Canada
Level Contributor
170 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Flying Doctors Evacuation Insurance- consideration?

Thank you all for your input. I just called my tour operator and they said they now include the cost of the Flying Doctor insurance.

Ella

nyc
Level Contributor
14,610 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Flying Doctors Evacuation Insurance- consideration?

Ella - if they do include FD, be sure you also get with your documents, the FD Membership Card w/number should the need arise you require this service.

Bath, Canada
Level Contributor
170 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Flying Doctors Evacuation Insurance- consideration?

Sandi

Will make sure. Thank you very much.

Ella