We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Virgin Atlantic withdraws Nairobi-London route

South West England...
Destination Expert
for Mombasa, Diani Beach, Kenya
Level Contributor
7,330 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
Virgin Atlantic withdraws Nairobi-London route

Another option bites the dust!

http://www.businessdailyafrica.com/Corporate+News/Virgin+Atlantic+withdraws+Nairobi+London+route/-/539550/1407096/-/cv09d7/-/index.html

Virgin Atlantic has announced it will withdraw its flight operations between Nairobi and London in September.

Nairobi, Kenya
Level Contributor
3,755 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Virgin Atlantic withdraws Nairobi-London route

Not surprised, given escalating fuel costs, low pax numbers and that ridiculous APD charged by the UK government. As I said in a previous post on air fares, my ticket with Emirates is, on average, almost $550 cheaper per trip than the UK legacy carrier (BA, not Virgin). Talk about crippling the economy.

manchester, United...
Level Contributor
1,225 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Virgin Atlantic withdraws Nairobi-London route

Blast! It was looking the cheapest flight next Easter - KLM and BA are looking very pricey indeed.......

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
39,678 posts
419 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Virgin Atlantic withdraws Nairobi-London route

FL410,

Tell me how flying with EK avoids the APD in Europe?? I am no fan of the grinning Pullover but I doubt that had any bearing on VA's decision.

Val. go to www.turkishairlines.com and maybe have a free overnight in IST..

London
Level Contributor
109 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Virgin Atlantic withdraws Nairobi-London route

What a shame, so we are now reduced to only two direct/non-stop options to London....and I am left with a ton of air miles that I will now have to use elsewhere :(

manchester, United...
Level Contributor
1,225 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Virgin Atlantic withdraws Nairobi-London route

Thanks mfuwe! My daughter has also just said Turkish airlines on hearing the news. And I do love Istanbul!

Nairobi, Kenya
Level Contributor
3,755 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Virgin Atlantic withdraws Nairobi-London route

"Tell me how flying with EK avoids the APD in Europe??"

No idea, but all the flights with EK, QR or GF were about the same about cheaper than the UK legacy carriers. Kinda just assumed it must be APD-related but clearly wrong...

Maybe this has something to do with it? en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emirates_business_model

Edited: 6:11 am, May 17, 2012
Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
989 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Virgin Atlantic withdraws Nairobi-London route

Ater 12 years of travelling with KLM/KQ I returned to the UK in March with Virgin & had booked my return flight for October and yes after just speaking to Virgin Reservations in London they have confirmed that the route has been cancelled, now from someone living in Manchester travelling to LHR was a massive step but I had came to decision that due to the major mess up's over the past six months from our visitors/volunteers flying with KQ that we would start using Virgin, so annoyed !!!

The stopover time with Emirates is very long so back to the drawing board but thanks Tembo for the information.

London, United...
Level Contributor
33,409 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Virgin Atlantic withdraws Nairobi-London route

mfuwe,

Wouldn't you just take a short flight to AMS, and then use long-haul on separate ticket to avoid most of the APD?

Mtwapa, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Newcastle upon Tyne, Bamburi, Mtwapa
Level Contributor
16,516 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Virgin Atlantic withdraws Nairobi-London route

Peter,

It doesn't work that way

From The HMRC website,

<<If two or more international flights are connected, it is the final destination of the connected flight which determines the duty liability. If two or more international flights are not connected, then the duty liability is determined by the last destination which is not followed by a connected flight. Therefore a passenger whose ultimate destination is in a destination band with a higher rate will be liable to the lower rate of duty if he stops en route at a destination in a lower rate country for longer than 24 hours. >>

see examples

…hmrc.gov.uk/channelsPortalWebApp/…

plymouth england
Level Contributor
5,880 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Virgin Atlantic withdraws Nairobi-London route

when I feel better -shall I start the boat build ?