We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rhino has been illegally killed in Tsavo West

South West England...
Destination Expert
for Mombasa, Diani Beach, Kenya
Level Contributor
7,330 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
Rhino has been illegally killed in Tsavo West

http://www.coastweek.com/3515_33.htm

An eight-year-old female rhino has been illegally killed in Tsavo West National Park.

The rhino carcass was sighted in Ngulia Sanctuary within the expansive park by a Kenya Wildlife Service aerial patrol team.

For want of a better word - Bar Stewards!

somerset
Level Contributor
220 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Rhino has been illegally killed in Tsavo West

After watching the panorama programme last night this does not surprise me, horrifies me tho. It is scary to know just how prevelant poaching still is. I think many of us thought it was a rare occurrance these days.

The chinese seem to need educating on the anatomy of elephants thats for sure!

I am surprised that lasts nights programme has been raised on the forum today.

Edited: 11:22 am, April 13, 2012
Telford, Shropshire
Level Contributor
2,438 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Rhino has been illegally killed in Tsavo West

Godammmittttttt! Leave them alone for the love of God. Somebody tell these idiots that there is NOTHING medicinal in rhino horn.

I'm always posting stuff on Facebook about poaching, it's like bashing your head against a brick wall.

if only I had the money to put a price on the head of the poachers........

Hanf - saw the programme last night and was sat grinding my teeth in anger. The best way to deal with poachers is to insert the largest tusk they have right where the sun don't shine, I doubt they'd be able to murder anymore elephants after that.........

Fordingbridge...
Level Contributor
2,086 posts
183 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Rhino has been illegally killed in Tsavo West

The perpetrators are bad enough, but what about the morons, mainly in the Far East & particularly China, who demand more & more ivory to satisfy their selfish desire for carved ornaments & jewellery. Their governments do virtually nothing to stop the illegal importation.

There is a sickening photo in today's Mail of a herd of 35 Ellies which had been slaughtered & mutilated in Cameroon. Last night's Panorama documentary gave a sad insight into the extent of the problem throughout Africa.

A very sad state of affairs.

Nairobi, Kenya
Level Contributor
3,755 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Rhino has been illegally killed in Tsavo West

The best way to deal with it (which we're trying to do) is to deal with the demand. No demand, no supply. Poaching now is at a higher level than it was even during the Mau Mau days. To read what hanf246 has written just confirms that nobody in the wider public really knows what the heck is going on here and just how bad it is.

Personally, I'd cut the poachers' fricking hands off. That's what they do with thieves in some parts, isn't it?

Sutton
Level Contributor
45 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Rhino has been illegally killed in Tsavo West

I have been in that sanctuary so many times never once seen a Rhino yet those murderous so and sos manage to find one and kill it. It makes me so sad angry and frustrated in equal measures that this still goes on seemingly unchecked.

Telford, Shropshire
Level Contributor
2,438 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Rhino has been illegally killed in Tsavo West

Citygirl - me too - never seen a rhino in that sanctuary! What a disgraceful thing to do.

Nicmel is correct, someone needs to sort China out.........

FL410 - you do the holding, I'll do the chopping.... then sell them as ashtrays.....

Isle of Wight
Level Contributor
263 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Rhino has been illegally killed in Tsavo West

Agree with all the above. Unbelievable.

Assuming they are male poachers, my Better half has recommended a double Orchiectomy with a blunt knife and no anaesthetic!

K

Edited: 11:41 am, April 13, 2012
Bedfordshire England
Level Contributor
174 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Rhino has been illegally killed in Tsavo West

Quite right about the need to close the market down in the far east in general and China in particular. There needs to be a system devised that can positively identify "legitimate" ivory and any not meeting the test should be confiscated and burnt by the local government. Maybe there could be a cheap and easy DNA-like test developed? There is no doubt in my mind that reducing the size of the market by fear of loss of the asset would reduce the price to a point where it would not be such a profitable enterprise.

The problem stopping it a source is that although I deplore what the poachers do, given that the actual killers (not their masters) are probably very poor people, it is easy to understand how they would do the dirty deed for the sort of money that could keep their family fed for a year at least. The risk must be worth it or they wouldn't do it. I wonder how many people here would do it if they were offered a figure close to a lottery win to do it - might be more takers than we would like to admit?

Edited: 10:30 am, April 14, 2012
Sheffield, United...
Level Contributor
3,333 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Rhino has been illegally killed in Tsavo West

<<The problem stopping it a source is that although I deplore what the poachers do, given that the actual killers (not their masters) are probably very poor people,>>>

Was the case at one time, but these days they are more likely to be organised gangs, often better armed than the defence, and are prepared to kill. Better organised and armed rangers, preferably trained army, are the only on the ground answer. BUT the real culprits are the organisers, middle men, who buy the illegal items, until THEY are dealt with; there is no chance of stopping this despicable trade.

Unfortunately these "middle men" are often the very politicians who are the ones who should be making the laws to stop this, or at least are in the pocket of the middle men.

I despair that this will not stop until there is no wildlife to save!

Ivan

Salford, United...
Level Contributor
3,293 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Rhino has been illegally killed in Tsavo West

*Was the case at one time, but these days they are more likely to be organised gangs* Very possibly people from poor backgrounds though (maybe with some training) as these are the most desperate and most easily persuaded. In sociological terms, the poorer a person is, the more likely s/he is to be satisfied with short term gain.

Unfortunately, while the demand exists, for every poacher caught, or killed, there are potentially 100's waiting to fill his shoes

What makes you so sure that the middle men are politicians? The poaching problem has a direct link with the arrival of the Chinese. Discussing this with my (Chinese) brother-in-law, I think that like a stick of rock, the poaching issue has 'Chinese' running right through it. No doubt there are payoffs here and there, to middle ranking officials, but basically it is s Chinese run operation.

It has been suggested that the end users don't realise that an animal was killed to obtain the horn, or tusk. I am not at all sure that they actually give a s**t, which is very worrying.

I wonder how they would feel if their panda's started to be poached?

Edited: 2:12 am, April 15, 2012