We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

E-Tourism conference in Nairobi today and tomorrow

UK
Destination Expert
for Malindi, Ukunda, Kenya
Level Contributor
4,751 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
E-Tourism conference in Nairobi today and tomorrow

Anyone on twitter who's interested in the Kenya tourist industry and wants to follow the E-Tourism Frontiers conference at the Intercontinental in Nairobi can do so at hashtag #ETourismEastAfrica

Very lively questions from the audience to TA rep Victoria Delaney!

Richard

Kampala
Level Contributor
1,966 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: E-Tourism conference in Nairobi today and tomorrow

Thank you Yankari for this post.

I will follow it right away

Nairobi, Kenya
Level Contributor
211 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: E-Tourism conference in Nairobi today and tomorrow

Thank you so much Richard,its a real wealth of information.

John

Belize City, Belize
2 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: E-Tourism conference in Nairobi today and tomorrow

Is Kenya Safe for British Citizens to travel in Sept 2012 ?? all the treats have me very nervous and changing my mind.. What security do you have and assurance of safety?

Nairobi, Kenya
Level Contributor
3,755 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: E-Tourism conference in Nairobi today and tomorrow

Nobody in the world would "assure" your safety, wherever you were going.

Suggest you read the FCO travel warnings currently in place for UK Citizens and make up your own mind. Threats will be present, wherever you go. Al Qaeda has operatives and sleeper cells in probably every country in the world meaning that, in reality, you'd probably be at just as much risk of an attack walking through the streets of London or New York (or Bali) as you would here in Kenya.

Our security is nowhere near as advanced or diligent as that of our First World counterparts but it has been stepped up in light of intell, known threats and threats received.

Belize City, Belize
2 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: E-Tourism conference in Nairobi today and tomorrow

Thank you for the update, its is just a little nerve racking when I read about what happened to the two British citizens, our company may have a project in Kenya and I am interested in going, however I must investigate all areas before a decision is made. Your input has helped me and made me feel more at ease. Thank you

Mtwapa, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Newcastle upon Tyne, Bamburi, Mtwapa
Level Contributor
15,825 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: E-Tourism conference in Nairobi today and tomorrow

From the FCO Advice it seems tourists are more at risk from violent attack in Belize City (if that is where you are based) than they are in Kenya.

Here in Kenya life is going on as usual. there is increased security, for example, cars are stopped and searched at the entrance to mall car parks, and customers are scanned with metal detectors as they enter supermarkets, hotels, etc

The coast resorts other than those in the Lamu area were always safe from the threat of pirates and the kidnap attacks as they were too far away from their bases in Somalia. That threat has receded anyway because of the security forces presence in the area and the fact that the Kenyan Army in Somalia has taken the towns that were used as bases for those attacks.

The wildlife parks and reserves were never at risk from this threat.

The situation changed after the Kenyan troops went into Somalia, the threat was no longer kidnappers, but terrorist reprisal attacks. There have been three grenade attacks on working class Kenyan areas in Nairobi, the perpetrators of the first two were quickly caught. There were a few attacks in the town of Garissa, towards the Somali border, by Al Shabaab sympathisers, but other than that there has been nothing.

The threat now is one we have lived with for decades in the UK, first from the IRA and more recently from Al Qaeda. The threat of a terrorist act, which of course if it happens could happen anywhere.

I think the situation now is that the geographic location is irrelevant, as Al Shabaab has formally joined as Al Qaeda, it is the nature of the target chosen for its impact, that is important rather than its location. The risk is that they will try for a 'spectacular' (as the IRA used to call it) to show that they are still a power. If this happens then tragically some people will be in the wrong place at the wrong time like the poor souls that were on the tube or a particular bus in London on 7/7. No-one knows if, when or where that strike will take place. .

But at the moment there are lots of tourists still coming to Kenya (and there have been hundreds of thousands of them since the kidnappings), carrying on as usual, relaxing and enjoying their holiday.

7. Re: E-Tourism conference in Nairobi today and tomorrow

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:22 am, April 01, 2013