We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

"Killer drought threatens East Africa"

Level Contributor
17 posts
1 review
Save Topic
"Killer drought threatens East Africa"

Has anyone else seen the article in todays Indepedent? (www.independent.co.uk). We are going to the Great Rift Valley & Masai Mara next week and want to know whether this article is a true picture of how bad it is out there or if this is slightly exagerated? Has anyone just come back from Kenya and could tell me what they saw? Wildlife dying of thirst & starvation has me in tears already - I don't know whether I could actually witness it first hand!

London, England
Level Contributor
3,042 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: "Killer drought threatens East Africa"

Hadn't read that one today no. Don't know if you saw Smudger's post the other week, it's now on page two of the post's, the link was from the BBC, here's the link incase you haven't seen.

news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/africa/4725152.stm

Level Contributor
17 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: "Killer drought threatens East Africa"

Thanks for BBC report - although still worrying news, it doesn't seem to have the scare reports of the Independent...e.g. "In cracked riverbeds once flowing with water,dozens of hippos lie decomposing in the stifling heat. Elsewhere, the thin delicate frames of rare Grevy's zebras lie on parched grass, felled by anthrax."

I have seen some of the other posts regarding the droughts but I can't seem to find Smudgers!

London, England
Level Contributor
3,042 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: "Killer drought threatens East Africa"

It's all not nice too read eh.....here's the link for he post I mentioned where Smudger posted the BBC one

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g294206-i9216-k467…