We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Abercrombie & Kent has sunk!!!!

Which Kenya hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
LOS ANGELES
1 post
Abercrombie & Kent has sunk!!!!

I have spent 25+ yrs. in the travel industry..after retirement I booked (at full fare) A&K Egypt & Kenya Tour - cost $40,000K (we did fly business class)...it was and is the worst trip of both of our lives..me at 50 and my husband late 60's. What a SCAM. Flights booked at rediculous hours like dinner until 10PM with a 3AM wake up call and full day touring in 120 degrees F. At most 2 hours of sleep, poor accomodations, boring, boring, boring itineraries...you do not know this until you have paid and until you have arrived. DO THIS; book a high end hotel suite in Egypt, book private and fun tours like seeing the Pyramids at night with key guide Azza Ammar (best in entire country), Grand Hyatt dinner boat cruise on the Nile..book only the MS IV boat for Luxor Cruise with A&K - so fun, Samir is the Head Host - take care of your own choice of flights, in April - May, tour in late afternoon and evening - everything is lit up and it's much more enjoyable and beautiful...for Africa the same - book your own adventures and hotels and hire local guides and tours...we are in the middle of our trip and feel so taken, so ripped off. The profit margin for A&K is near $1500 a day per person...at 14 days that's $21,000...what a waste. The best of the best in tours has crashed and burned. Don't be taken! We are blessed with the ability to travel first class anywhere we wish...we'll never book with A&K again..we would have rathered to donate the money to charity or treat others..what a waste of our time, energy and money....BORING, BORING AND A TOTAL AND COMPLETE RIP OFF!

Cape Town Central...
Level Contributor
125 posts
3 reviews
71. Re: Abercrombie & Kent has sunk!!!!

They have done good work, with Sandy Evans gone but probably more so Josh Kent that hopped to &Beyond, perhaps it has gone down slowly - it would be a sad day and would leave a huge gap in the US market.

Biggest mistake in living memory was to sell Crater lodge and Mnemba island for the Nile boat operation!

Los Angeles...
1 post
72. Re: Abercrombie & Kent has sunk!!!!

We took a tour with A&K to Jordan and Egypt and had the same experience. Ridiculous flight times, poor organization of "free time", A&K representatives sleeping in the van and obviously not wanting to be there. We were very upset after the vacation and have since decided NEVER to use them again, but we TOTALLY agree with you.

73. Re: Abercrombie & Kent has sunk!!!!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 4:05 am, March 06, 2014
Level Contributor
1 post
8 reviews
74. Re: Abercrombie & Kent has sunk!!!!

What companies do you recommend?

Nanyuki, Kenya
Level Contributor
5 posts
3 reviews
75. Re: Abercrombie & Kent has sunk!!!!

Where do you wish to go on safari to?

Somerset
Destination Expert
for Mombasa, Diani Beach, Kenya
Level Contributor
6,927 posts
22 reviews
76. Re: Abercrombie & Kent has sunk!!!!

Welcome to TA Glen B S. Advice is great. Touting is not and will be zapped. Please bear that in mind.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
1 post
4 reviews
77. Re: Abercrombie & Kent has sunk!!!!

So pleased to get this advice. Was looking at A & K tours for next holiday.

Are you able to provide contact numbers for the guides you mentioned?

Regards

Mary-Anne

1 post
78. Re: Abercrombie & Kent has sunk!!!!

Personally, i think everyone opinion varies. But, as one states the downfalls of A&K, according to their experience, one should also give an alternative as to what should have been done, according to their preference. That way, you will be helping in improving their services. Personally, i think you should go back and give your views and suggestions as to what should have done in place of what you got as the package. Everyone could use a hand in getting new ideas. I also think that the best way to do so is to have an internship program where undergraduates can come up with new ideas, and personalized tourism packages for different categories of people, depending on their ages and preferences. I am an undergraduate at Strathmore University, and i have always wanted to work with A&K. I think, if the given the opportunity, the newbies in the industry can help in developing new ideas and in making amendments that will suit the current consumers who have different needs.

nyc
Level Contributor
14,242 posts
79. Re: Abercrombie & Kent has sunk!!!!

Stephanie G - Nice to read that you'd like to work in the hospitality/travel business. Would suggest you write to A&K direct to ascertain what, if any, training or intern programs available.

80. Re: Abercrombie & Kent has sunk!!!!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 5:05 pm, July 24, 2014