We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ngama Hills Luxury Tented Camp?

London
1 post
Ngama Hills Luxury Tented Camp?

Hi All,

I'm currently trying to arrange my honeymoon in Kenya and as there are so many travel companies and camps/lodges etc i'm getting a bit baffled. Especially as the prices vary so much.

The most recent quote i've received seems good value at £1000 per person for 5 nights full board. The camp in the Mara is Ngama Hills 'Luxury' Tented Camp and i can find very little info on this so if anyone has been could you let me know what it's like. This is for 3 nights so is the most important for us.

Also, would people recommend having a night at Lake Nakuru and one at Lake Naivasha or just go to one of them for 2 nights instead?

Thanks!

nyc
Level Contributor
15,087 posts
1. Re: Ngama Hills Luxury Tented Camp?

Have your agent send you the link (URL) for this camp, so you can review the details... even post link here and maybe someone can comment.

Just for your information Ngama Hills area is outside the Mara Reserve in the area northeast, around Siana Springs. Here there is an Intrepid's Camp and a Sentim Camp. The camp you refer to might also be in the area.

Nairobi
Level Contributor
150 posts
1 review
2. Re: Ngama Hills Luxury Tented Camp?

4sandi, Ngama Hills and the Sentrim Camp are the same - The Sentrim group , who own the 680, the Boulevard, the Castle Royal, the Amboseli and Samburu Sentrim Camps TOOK OVER Ngama Hills Camp. Ed you can get info on Ngama Hills here: http://www.sentrim-hotels.com/mara.html . The Sentrim group is not really known for luxury but who knows - their Mara camp could be different. Just curious, how long ago did you get your quote? Your operator should definitely know about the take over and if they don't, this could be reason to worry? All the best!

nyc
Level Contributor
15,087 posts
3. Re: Ngama Hills Luxury Tented Camp?

I too thought OP referring to the Sentim Camp, but I wouldn't consider it in the "lux" class, why I asked for more specifics At about $$280-300/person/nt, assume this is driving to/from the Mara and if including the daily park fees... not in the lux category.

As to Lake Nakuru/Naivasha, know that the game drives are done at Nakuru, which if staying at Naivasha can be done as a day-tour (only 1/hr drive between the two areas). At Naivasha you can do a boat trip to Crescent Island for a walking safari which many enjoy.

You can drive to/from Nakuru, whereas if visiting Naivasha, there are flights available.

Nairobi Kenya
1 post
4. Re: Ngama Hills Luxury Tented Camp?

In Naivasha , you can get some lovely retreat places.

i would highly recommend Crater lake.Its a lovely place and it has been voted as a top honeymoon destinations.

Also try Kigio or Malewa.Both very unique in a conservancy.They are eco.

I think the only place you can have a night game drive around Naivasha.

dubai
Level Contributor
254 posts
16 reviews
5. Re: Ngama Hills Luxury Tented Camp?

We have been to both lakes - I much prefer Nakuru, you will most probably see leopards there - visiting either would mean driving to/from the Mara.

The other option would be to fly direct to the Mara, meet your safari company there - spend 5 days between 2 lodges/camps then fly back. I like Nakuru and it's a tough call - but if you only have 5 days then the flying option may be worth considering.

As for the camp you meantioned - I can't help as I haven't heard of it. For a honeymoon I recommend trying to fit in a balloon ride in the Mara as well.

Kenya
Level Contributor
193 posts
31 reviews
6. Re: Ngama Hills Luxury Tented Camp?

Hi

Depending on when you'll be going...that price is very workable as most camps have reduced their rates due to the current hard economic times.

I was at Ngama hills tented camp the wknd before Easter for the first time and i found it quite a nice place. it's quite luxurious and it's inside the reserve in between Sekenani gate and the Ololomutia(sp)gate. They were not very busy by then so we got utmost attention:) Check more info from the sentrim hotels website since ngama hills web doesnt seem to be working anymore.it used to be www.ngamahillscamp.com. PS: they do not have a swimming pool as yet..so dont expect that sort of luxury! I have a bunch of pics,mainly of the rooms and surroundings.They have great rooms!

As for Nakuru and Naivasha, i prefer Nakuru since there is more to see there...but a taste of both wouldnt be too bad. Make sure you visit crescent island while at Naivasha...it's a great place for a walking safari! PS: it's not only accessed by boat,you can drive straight to the island from the Moi south lake(crescent is of more of a peninsula than an island really)

All the best and enjoy your honeymoon!

7. Re: Ngama Hills Luxury Tented Camp?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:33 am, October 20, 2009