We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help with booking travel insurance

MAZZYAUDS
Level Contributor
225 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Help with booking travel insurance

Is there any particular clause I should look for when looking for travel insurance for a 5 night safari/ 5 night Mombassa beach holiday? If so, which companies are the most competitive?

Thanks

Euston (Not the...
Level Contributor
31 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help with booking travel insurance

I got mine from moneysupermarket.com - you get 100s of different policies to choose from..

MAZZYAUDS
Level Contributor
225 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help with booking travel insurance

Yes I've had a look but I get easily confused by policy wording and some seems too cheap to trust. I was looking for specific company names if possible - my main concern is having good cancellation cover in the current financial climate - who knows which companies are going to go bust over the coming months! I want to be properly covered because this is our honeymoon and has cost us thousands. Thanks

nyc
Level Contributor
15,087 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Help with booking travel insurance

Don't know your home country, but each has policies from different providers with various inclusions and exclusions.

For clarification of the coverage, if not clear on their websites, they should have a phone# to call (at least they do here in the US) to ask questions.

You should cover for your pre-paid expenses as: air* and land arrangements. Cancellation (on your part... illness, accident, etc.) should cover for this total. Interruption (illness/accident or other while in-country) may cover the total or total + 1/2 addtl. Then there is medical/dental and evacuation in case of serious emergency, at minimum this should be $100K, but 500K is better. And, should the worst happen - death, repatriation of the body.

* if using frequent flyer award tickets, these cannot be included as there is no cost (but taxes, maybe) attached to these.

That's only a summary, so you have to absorb as much info as possible and ask specifics from the insurer.

Euston (Not the...
Level Contributor
31 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Help with booking travel insurance

I just had a look at Moneysupermarket myself, I'm no expert but I am well travelled, and found there are quite a few companies offering cancellation cover of £5k.... the more well known brands obviously charge more... but travel insurance is cheap to buy these days - now the travel agent's control on the market has gone...

I appreciate your concern about cancellation due to travel companies going bust but i dont think you'll find insurance policies will cover this as most people tend to be covered by ABTA/ATOL and the policies tend to be worded so your covered 'in event of sudden death of close relative, loss of job etc'

I hope this helps a little.

5. Re: Help with booking travel insurance

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:17 pm, August 11, 2009